general 2.3 mustang reliaility

snake109

Dec 2, 2004
Austin TX
like the topic sais. im looking at a stock 92 hatchback 5sp with 130K miles. a/c works, doesnt leak oil and looks prety clean. I dont know about the 4 banger mustangs so i figure the best place to find out is here. I would be driving this car for the next 2 years and im mechanically knolageble and can perform most automobile work. so about how much trouble can i expect from this car? Also im going to go look at it again today so what specifically should i inspect on it if anything? Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

My 93 sits alot, but still fires up when I want it to. With a 92, if the tach ever starts reading half and you have a code 223/224, check your coil packs and ICM. They seem to be going right now on 91-93s.
Other than that, it'll run and keep going. Keep it maintained and it'll keep you going.

well i picked it up, not the 92 hatchback though, they sold that one this morning. But a quick on-line check and i found a 93 2.3 sedan 5sp. This one actually looks in better shape, 140,xxx miles. new alternater and batter with other new parts in the past 6 years or so. runs great, i couldnt find any oil leaks on the engine and tranny worked great. paid $1,600 for her, was that too much? ill get it cleaned up and post some pics later. but i was suprised about that engine, 105hp doesnt sound like much but it pulls harder than any other 4-banger ive driven.

For whatever reason, I really like the 2.3 engines. I have two 5.0 cars and one 2.3 Notch for my daughter. That is a really nice, relaxing and comfortable car to drive. It showed 136k when we bought it, but it seems to be going on its second high school tour strong.