General interior question...looking for suggestions

IIGood

Founding Member
Aug 1, 1998
Churchton, MD
Forgive me if I've put this in the wrong forum...

I've got an '03 GT that I just purchased a new stereo for. The stereo comes with built-in GPS, so of course it has an antenna to go with it. I'm looking for ideas on where to mount the antenna. I don't want to put it on the exterior of the car (especially since the car is in for paint right now) and I don't think it'd work well on the rear shelf since my windows are tinted...only 35%.

I was thinking on the dash close to the front of the windshield...but then routing the wire would be tricky...could it just drop down the vents and be able to plug in to the back of the head unit? Or what if I stuck it onto the rear view mirror?

• Sponsors (?)

i have my satellite radio antenna stuck in the back window of my car. my windows are tinted too. as long as the antenna is all the way at the back to where it actually touches the glass, you shouldnt have any issues at all.
it depends on what type of tint was used, metallic tint can mess up the sat signal.

you can stick the GPS antenna in the dash somewhere and itll get good signal as long as there is no metal above it. you could place it on top of the dash somewhere also

Thanks for the ideas guys. It doesn't look like I'll have much problem with the length of the cord, fortunately...I just unraveled it last night to see what I'm working with and it looks to be a good 12 feet at least. So plenty of slack to maneuver.

I don't think my tint has any metallic bits in it; just seems to be the standard film. I might put it on the rear shelf and see what happens.

Thanks again.

i just installed one in mine and its working 100%, heres where i put it.

with the radio bezel removed along with the center two vents you should have access to squeeze ur fingers above the heater ducting there. About 3-4" in theres a metal brace that runs right above that ducting, my GPS antenna was magnetic and i stuck it to that metal brace. Works great and you cant see the antenna

+1 My gps antenna magnetically stuck to that same cross brace in the dash over and behind the center vents. I get signal just fine and dont have to see any antenna much less run it anywhere. Easiest and best place for sure. What deck did you get?

i just installed one in mine and its working 100%, heres where i put it.

with the radio bezel removed along with the center two vents you should have access to squeeze ur fingers above the heater ducting there. About 3-4" in theres a metal brace that runs right above that ducting, my GPS antenna was magnetic and i stuck it to that metal brace. Works great and you cant see the antenna

Clever! I'll keep that in mind once I go to install mine.