General Tweecer question

usd2ba6

Apr 17, 2002
jackson nj
Ok, I tried th search and found the FAQ, but that seemed more helpful to someone who already owned a Tweecer. I don't understand what the Tweecer actually does. Are you in a sense burning a chip, or actually changing the ECU? I ask because I have 3 stangs with three different ECU's and would like to try a Tweecer, but I dont know if I can get away with using ANY of the same components on all of my cars, or would I have to actually buy 3 separate Tweecers. Would somebody please explain?

• Sponsors (?)

The tweecer is a "reflashable" (i'm not sure if that's the correct lingo") chip that plugs into the service port on your EEC, just like an aftermarket chip would. The difference, the tweecer has a USB port that allows you to connect it to a laptop, and utilizing software that is available as a download, modify settings in your EEC. So you would have to purchase 3 separate Tweecers in order to mod all three cars. As far as customer satisfaction, you either hate it, or love it.

IMO, the tweecer is an incredibly powerful tool, but a tool that requires a very good understanding of a fuel injection system, and an ability to learn via trial and error. A lot of the parameters in the EEC are not fully understood, even by the creator of the tweecer (although he knows MOST things). That being said, i have used a tweecer on a 95 GT with an AOD-E and successfully:

1) turned off the EGR (smog pump was removed - this got rid of "check engine light"
2) Moved rev limiter - car had 3.73's and limiter was cutting in @ 5200 rpm
3) Moved shift points to match cam
4) added line pressure to trans at WOT so shifts would be firmer
5) adjusted air fuel ratio
6) adjust timing tables (pulled timing out at higher rpm's for supercharger)
7) adjusted temperature at which fan came on to match 160 deg. thermostat

It took alittle fooling around to figure all of this out, and i would consider myself someone that has a pretty good understanding of fuel injection, however, there are a lot of disgruntled persons that have bought the tweecer, and were frustrated b/c they could not figure it out.

If you want to see what its all about, download the beta version 1.20 of the calcon software from the tweecer.com site. This is teh software used to change the parameters in the eec. If you cannot make heads or tails of anything in there after a concerted effort - maybe you should steer clear. Bewarned that if you DO get the tweecer, all you will receive is the chip, and some cables - so what you see is what you get with regard to documentation and support on the website.

I am happy with it - but i was able to figure out enough stuff to make me feel i had my money's worth.