Engine Generator to Alternator conversion-belt issue (Pictures attached)

64vert

May 4, 2019
South Carolina
Hello, all. I have been working on converting the original generator in my 64.5 Mustang (260 engine) to a one wire alternator. (Don't worry purists, I am going to rebuild the orignal generator and keep for posterity:).

I have everything lined up, but can't get the belt around the alternator pulley. I have created as much room as I can with the new alternator (Pictured) but can't see where to get any more room to get the built over the alternator and then tighten everything back up. I have intentionally left the bolts at the top loose so I have as much room as possible to get the belt over the pulley. I have never done this exchange before and I am sure I am missing something, but can't figure out what it is! Can someone give me a few tips that I can try? The old generator and the new alternator are the same size, so that isn't the problem. Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,

64vert

Attachments

• 1964.5 Alternator Pic 1.JPG
    1964.5 Alternator Pic 1.JPG
    299 KB · Views: 307
  • 1964.5 Alternator Pic 2.JPG
    1964.5 Alternator Pic 2.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 196
  • Sponsors (?)

Hello, all. I have been working on converting the original generator in my 64.5 Mustang (260 engine) to a one wire alternator. (Don't worry purists, I am going to rebuild the orignal generator and keep for posterity:).

I have everything lined up, but can't get the belt around the alternator pulley. I have created as much room as I can with the new alternator (Pictured) but can't see where to get any more room to get the built over the alternator and then tighten everything back up. I have intentionally left the bolts at the top loose so I have as much room as possible to get the belt over the pulley. I have never done this exchange before and I am sure I am missing something, but can't figure out what it is! Can someone give me a few tips that I can try? The old generator and the new alternator are the same size, so that isn't the problem. Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,

64vert

Good luck with this. I am just now thinking of doing what you have started. I found a site that sells an alternator that looks like the old generator and bolts up to the old bracket from Powermaster. I decided to make the switch as the beginning of an AC restoration. The AC guy I went to said the old generator just didn't make enough power for the AC to function correctly. Is there anything you need to do with regard to the horn when making the conversion? I know there is a special horn and turn signal setup for the 64.5 and there is a horn relay just below the regulator. Do you have to change any of these horn parts when making the conversion?

1964.5 Alternator Pic 2.JPG

That slot in the lower bracket is for adjustment, push the bottom of the alternator towards the engine, and see if the belt won't make it over the pulley at that point, if not, you'll need a longer belt, trying going up a half an inch in size (and if the parts monkey at the auto parts store doesn't know how, let me know what size and brand and I'll convert it to the next part number for you).