Getting automatic shift knob off..

cgrant

Dec 6, 2003
I have a 2000 V6 convertible, automatic

My friend and I are trying to remove the shift knob for my new one

We removed the screw but the damn thing won't come off and I can't find anywhere on the internet that says how to remove it

What's the secret?

• Sponsors (?)

97v6Silver said:
unscrew it?
Does not unscrew or pull off....unless I need to use a monkey wrench or something hehe..

I'm scared to just start pulling extremely hard or turning extremely hard until I know that is how it comes off

Anyone done one before?

There is just one screw on the front side of it that you have to use a small Allen wrench to get off. After that it should come off. Inside you will find a set of wires that runs up to the over drive button...and a sprint that operates the top push button. The first time I took mine off I had to twist and pull in one motion. It was extremely difficult to get off the first time. Just be sure the screw is out all the way and make sure to pull straight up and it should pop off. There's nothing else holding it on...it's just being stubborn.

zoopa_man said:
There is just one screw on the front side of it that you have to use a small Allen wrench to get off. After that it should come off. Inside you will find a set of wires that runs up to the over drive button...and a sprint that operates the top push button. The first time I took mine off I had to twist and pull in one motion. It was extremely difficult to get off the first time. Just be sure the screw is out all the way and make sure to pull straight up and it should pop off. There's nothing else holding it on...it's just being stubborn.

Okay thank you, I'll give it hell. I do have the screw all the way out.

Check out ebay, there are tons of different styles to choose from. What you will discover is that none of them have the over drive button on them. I've only found one style that has the O/D button that suits our style shifter on the mustangs. They want 50 plus shipping for that. So for now i'm living with what i got.

I have a friend that took a shift bezel off a GT 5 speed and put it onto his automatic. He kept the shift boot intact and just threaded it over the top of the auto shifter. Then he bought an aftermarket shift knob and screwed it onto the top. It looks like a stick shift car at a quick glance from the outside and you really wouldn't know it was an auto unless you looked closely. I'll post a pic if he will let me.

Just do what i did... got the rubber shift boot...stuck it under the shifter bezel so it looks normal...took off the normal shifter knob...replaced it with a one button one that is on top of it...ex. evelyn in gone in 60 seconds style....then i relocated the od button to the rear window defrost button....just run the wires....btw...there's no rear window defrost but the button was taken out of a junk yard mustang and we already have all the wiring set up in the 97's...and it uses damn near the same current as the od button so it works just fine...it takes a little splicing and some electronic know how but its not too bad...

ganador01 said:
Just do what i did... got the rubber shift boot...stuck it under the shifter bezel so it looks normal...took off the normal shifter knob...replaced it with a one button one that is on top of it...ex. evelyn in gone in 60 seconds style....then i relocated the od button to the rear window defrost button....just run the wires....btw...there's no rear window defrost but the button was taken out of a junk yard mustang and we already have all the wiring set up in the 97's...and it uses damn near the same current as the od button so it works just fine...it takes a little splicing and some electronic know how but its not too bad...

If i remember correctly, EVELYN was not EVELYN it was ELEANOR, anyway, it's all good, mistakes happen, LOL :flag:

Wayne