Getting better mileage out of your 94-98 V6.Use 99+ MAF

MustangLX-5.0

Founding Member
Dec 2, 2000
Lehigh Acres Fla.
I'm not 100% on this just yet.But I recently nabbed a MAF sensor out of an '02 V6 and swapped it in my '96.The MAF sensors are nearly identical except for the last letter in the part number.So that obviously means there are some minor changes to the sensor after '98.I've had the 02 sensor in my car for nearly a month now and I've noticed I can go 1 extra day without having to get gas.It normally went a week on a full blown tank.Now it's a week and one day.My driving habits havn't changed.Both sensors were cleaned out properly also.

I still need to verify this.And not that my old sensor was bad or anything.I'm going to get another MAF from another 94-98 v6 and see if there's any changes compared to my original sensor.

Has anyone else tried this yet?

• Sponsors (?)

The improvement was probably due to the new O2 sensor, not the MAF.

As O2 sensors age, they can lose their accuracy a little and yet not trigger a CEL to alert you that they're failing. That's why they have suggested replacement intervals of around 100,000 miles. I replaced mine a few months ago (both front sensors) and saw about 1 to 1 1/2 more MPG.

The improvement was probably due to the new O2 sensor, not the MAF.

As O2 sensors age, they can lose their accuracy a little and yet not trigger a CEL to alert you that they're failing. That's why they have suggested replacement intervals of around 100,000 miles. I replaced mine a few months ago (both front sensors) and saw about 1 to 1 1/2 more MPG.

LOLOLOLOL!

I had a funny feeling that would happen.When I said "02 sensor" what I meant was 2002 Mustang MAF sensor.See ,
i'm using the MAF out of that car in my 96.Has nothing to do with Oxygen sensors.Didn't touch those.

Posted via Mobile Device

And as of now,i'm still getting an extra day's worth of driving with the 2002's MAF sensor.That's over a weeks worth of driving.38 miles of city driving per day (lots of stoplights and putz drivers).I'm going to put my original sensor back in and test that for another month and see how that goes.Also going to re-test the sensor's output to make sure it's measuring airflow properly.