Getting Hot

Owens 40828

Active User
Oct 2, 2016
When I drive my 92 331 stroker around with the heat off, it gets to 210. But as long as my heater is blowing it stays around 185-190. Any ideas of what would cause this.....

• Sponsors (?)

It has a single electric fan, that is set to come on at 175.. I have a sve rad. I have burped it. So I don't think there is air in it. The thermostat is a 180. It over heats In city and Highway if the inside heat isn't on. But as long as it's running we are good.
I had to replace my intake gasket some time ago. That is when this trouble started.

It has a single electric fan, that is set to come on at 175.. I have a sve rad. I have burped it. So I don't think there is air in it. The thermostat is a 180. It over heats In city and Highway if the inside heat isn't on. But as long as it's running we are good.
I had to replace my intake gasket some time ago. That is when this trouble started.

What is your definition of overheating?
Is it spewing out the cap
Do you have underdrive pullies
Is it over flowing the overflow tank
210 is not overheating stock thermostat is 195
Your fan should come on at 195 with a 180 thermostat not 175
Does your radiator have good flow / no hoses collapsing

I'd suspect the 12 inch single fan. The heat adds an extra fan.

I'd advise you to go on ROCKAUTO and order a dual electric fan assembly for a Ford Contour from the late 90s. Or a Mercury Cougar v6. Those dual fans keep my turbo car cool.....too cool if they stay on constant.

Reactions: 1 user
Think about it for a moment.
Heater core is nothing more than a small radiator. Additional air flow when fan is on.
Answer the questions in post #8
My electric fan is too small also, I'm changing back to stock clutch fan soon,

If it's cooling down as soon as you turn the heat on, then the issue is airflow or water flow through the main radiator

Picture of fan setup? Is there a shroud pulling air from other parts of the radiator or is the fan mounted shroudkess?

Don't know why it posted 3 of them. Sorry for the mess up.

How would you check the flow of the rad?
My hoses feel good when it's hot and they are in pretty good shape
Take the radiator cap off when it cold. You may have to squeeze the lower hose a couple times to see the top of the first one or two tubes, crank it up and let it get warm and watch as the thermostat opens water will start to flow, as you raise the rpms the water will flow faster and rise up so be careful.
Inspect your cap and replace if it's old or questionable.
A couple things to look for, there is a plastic piece that sticks down like an upside down spoiler bolted to the crossmember underneath, it works just like a spoiler on the trunk of a car, also there are pieces that block off the sides of the radiator so air flows through and not around. A fan shroud helps the fan pull air through the entire area instead of just a portion of it.