Getting Kicked Out Of The Garage!

fawcett

Sep 10, 2003
Cohasset, Ma
My Mom is kicking my car out of the garage. Its been sitting for a couple of years it needs some work and my budget is pretty tight. I'm a sponsered Go Kart racer. We race 200lb/30hp Karts that do 2-3.5g's and top out at over 100mph. Its wicked expensive.

I've wanted to keep my car forever but now I dont know what to do. Mods are in my sig, not sure what its worth. The main reason its been sitting is because the rear end needs to be rebuilt. I have a howling/whining noise that increases with RPMs.

Its been a really fun car, even though I'm not driving it I dont want to get rid of it. I don't owe anything on it so it hasn't been costing me but if I have to pay to store it somewhere I'm going to consider selling/trading it for something more practical. Its been the shop a few times...

What should I do here? What is it worth as a whole? What if I part it out?
I'm afraid it is worth more parted out than as a whole.
Thanks,
Fast Freddie

GP Kart #153
CFMotorsports
Sr. Rotax

• Sponsors (?)

Haha, I am sponsored very well. A typical weekend costs around $1k (more if you wreck). Right now I have a sponsored ride which includes a brand new chassis, motor, exhaust, and AMB/MyChron4 data logging equipment. If the package were to be put into dollars its worth around $10-11k. I am very lucky to be where I am.

Racing weekend after weekend-traveling (hotels, gas, food) tires, 98 or 110octane leaded VP race fuel (whatever the track has on tap) and entry fees get expensive. I also miss the extra money I could have made working on the weekends.

So whats a 95GTs worth with these mods? I feel as if I am going to be dissapointed.

Haha, I am sponsored very well. A typical weekend costs around $1k (more if you wreck). Right now I have a sponsored ride which includes a brand new chassis, motor, exhaust, and AMB/MyChron4 data logging equipment. If the package were to be put into dollars its worth around $10-11k. I am very lucky to be where I am.

Racing weekend after weekend-traveling (hotels, gas, food) tires, 98 or 110octane leaded VP race fuel (whatever the track has on tap) and entry fees get expensive. I also miss the extra money I could have made working on the weekends.

So whats a 95GTs worth with these mods? I feel as if I am going to be dissapointed.

First and foremost I would yank that Viper tranny and Brembos and part those out. Definitely don't sell those with the car. Besides that you are probably looking at 5-7K depending on alot of other things. Post some pics and we can tell you more.

I'm gonna have to say part it out if you don't plan on fixing the rear end first

If you fix the rear end and have a healthy car to sell, you can probably get some decent money out of it, but if you decide to part out, you'll definitely see some profit with the brakes, tranny, and even the heads...

pics?

the only problem with parting it, is you will need a place to store it while you pull parts for it. so if you can't use your mom's garage, you will need to rent a place, which will take away from the money you will make on parting. plus you will need a good amount of time to pull parts and time to ship them out. you might not get as much selling as a whole working car. once you fine a seller, its gone and out of your hair. no more worries. my suggestions is to fix the rear and sell it as a whole. if it takes time to sell it you can move it around if you park it on the street or even use it.

i'll take it off your hands for $3.50 and the best ham sandwich you'll ever have in your life.

i realize it would cost money to fix it but a rear is your only problem? spend the money for either a new rear or get this one fixed. might only need a rebuild and new clutch packs or something simple. then drive it again. it would be a waste otherwise. if you part it out, you'll probably get more money out of it, but like said above, you'll have to spend money to do that. and a lot of time is involved with parting out and selling which if your racing every weekend you don't have.

SO is this Kart racing, like, a long time career goal or what? I know it's not the subject of discussion, but I'm curious. I always imagined that as being a sport for rich guys, spoiled kids and for anyone willing to live in the van down by the river.

As for the stang . . . take it to the mechanic to get the rearend rebuilt and sell it for 5k or so. That should afford you a down payment on a newish Hyundai Accent.