Getting peeved...

Pokageek

Jun 10, 2005
MA, USA
I dropped my car off at a shop because of a problem with it bucking at anything but full throttle after the H/C/I, injector and MAF conversion (and new fuel pump). My car has been at the shop for 2 1/2 #$%^ing weeks now. They are working on it at their leisure in between other cars because they claim it is difficult to diagnose and want to safe me money.

It has been 3 months since I have been able to #$%^ing drive my car, and each week that goes by in the shop I am getting more nervous.:mad: :bang:

I just needed to vent. I am not sure what to do now. Should I tell these guys to just fihgure it out by Friday or I am pulling it? If so, they could end up charging me an arm and a leg if I say speed it up. Their reasoning is that if they have their "interns" working on it, they will charge the same money as having the knowledgeable guys working on it. and the interns won't be as good diagnosing it, costing me more $$. The guy seems like a good guy but sheeait, I am getting tired of waiting weekend after weekend for my freaking car!!!!!!!!!!:chair: :Damnit: :dead: :uzi: :fuss:

• Sponsors (?)

This is the reason why i got a PMS. My car would buck....you lose your car for 2.5 weeks....i tuned mine and it was fine in 10 minutes. :hail2: :hail2: PMS:hail2: :hail2:

Is this the same shop that tuned it? If not, who tuned it? Was the car ever driving right? Whoever you paid to tune it should fix it. Obviously the tune suxors. :notnice:

Hi nmcgrawj. I have been trying to get it to run without the tune first. It seems to be doing it with or without the chip installed. The first tune I did was mail order. This shop can do the tune there which is better but they claim to have to get the bucking fixed b4 they can tune it properly.

Pokageek said:
Hi nmcgrawj. I have been trying to get it to run without the tune first. It seems to be doing it with or without the chip installed. The first tune I did was mail order. This shop can do the tune there which is better but they claim to have to get the bucking fixed b4 they can tune it properly.

haha...so what makes them think the bucking isnt caused by the bad tune or the lack of a tune?
I cant believe that any reputable shop wouldnt try tuning the computer on a modded 94-95 first. If it still bucks and the a/f is right on and no other symptoms pointing to the tune. THEN look elsewhere.

not for nothing, its never gonna run right without a tune. get your car out of there asap, bring it somewhere that does dyno tuning and they know what they're doing and have a tune done. i'm sure the only thing the interns are interested in doing with your car is taking it on the road for a good snot beating. next thing your gonna hear is "well we had one of the new guys test driving your car and he had a little accident". get it out.

They either know how to tune the car or they don't. A tune isn't something that they can do for 15 minutes each day and then after a few weeks they're done. It is laborious but they should be able to do it in a few hours.

Pull that **** outta there ASAP. Besides the price they charge, may justify buying PMS or tweecer with a WB02.

nmcgrawj, did you have a WB when you tuned with PMS? Don't you have a 351? Why not a tweecer?

95cobraguy said:
not for nothing, its never gonna run right without a tune. get your car out of there asap, bring it somewhere that does dyno tuning and they know what they're doing and have a tune done. i'm sure the only thing the interns are interested in doing with your car is taking it on the road for a good snot beating. next thing your gonna hear is "well we had one of the new guys test driving your car and he had a little accident". get it out.

SWYZ721 said:
They either know how to tune the car or they don't. A tune isn't something that they can do for 15 minutes each day and then after a few weeks they're done. It is laborious but they should be able to do it in a few hours.

Pull that **** outta there ASAP. Besides the price they charge, may justify buying PMS or tweecer with a WB02.

x3 :stupid:

SWYZ721 said:
nmcgrawj, did you have a WB when you tuned with PMS? Don't you have a 351? Why not a tweecer?

The first time no. That was the 302 with h/c/i. The 2nd time with the 351w and the h/c/i yes i did have the wideband...but it was actually much easier to tune the 351 than the 302.

For your last question...i'll ask you the same question. Why not a PMS?:p Seriously though:shrug:

Your symptoms honestly sound identical to my car when my MAF went bad. It wouldn't throw any codes though, and I ended up unplugging it for something one day (don't remember), and it ran like it was supposed to. Is it possible that you got a hold of a bad MAF, or maybe there's a short in your harness somewhere? I'd pull it outta there ASAP, and start going down the list of things it could be, even if that means swapping the good ol' 19lb injectors and stock MAF back in, just for a trial run. Good luck man, that has gotta be driving you nuts!

StangGT1995 said:
Your symptoms honestly sound identical to my car when my MAF went bad. It wouldn't throw any codes though, and I ended up unplugging it for something one day (don't remember), and it ran like it was supposed to. Is it possible that you got a hold of a bad MAF, or maybe there's a short in your harness somewhere? I'd pull it outta there ASAP, and start going down the list of things it could be, even if that means swapping the good ol' 19lb injectors and stock MAF back in, just for a trial run. Good luck man, that has gotta be driving you nuts!

Thats a great idea...he has gotta get his car back first though. It could rule out the maf or not. But im still guessing that its gonna need a GOOD tune.

Good luck man, keep us updated. :SNSign:

yeah i feel you....it took the machine shop 7 weeks to bore out my engine!!! that was after they said it would take 3 tops....
they told me that Heads take top priority in order.....even if my block has been there longer....its like WTF i am a paying customer too.........:notnice:

95CobraMike said:
yeah i feel you....it took the machine shop 7 weeks to bore out my engine!!! that was after they said it would take 3 tops....
they told me that Heads take top priority in order.....even if my block has been there longer....its like WTF i am a paying customer too.........:notnice:

Machine work is understandable....that crap can take a long time...and most shops i've talked with have been up front about it. It "should" take X amount of time...but it could take a little longer.

Now if they are taking on new work in front of your crap that has been sitting there...thats not cool. But if its just taking longer than expected to pound through the work they already had, well ya cant really complain. What else can they do? Sounds like they are just pushing your crap off to the side though...which sucks:notnice:

StangGT1995 said:

Thanks for the comments everyone. I would agree with this one StangGT1995 BUT I had a bad Granatelli that was bad, returned it, put a sunnit 75mm on it (then it ran better) and I want to refuse to think that one is bad too but possible I guess. They are pounding away on it after my call. Keeping you guys posted.

I hope that gets everything sorted out. I couldn't figure out for the life of me what was wrong with mine, and happened to find out it was the MAF, just by chance. With any luck, you might get to drive it by the time nice weather gets here! :D

StangGT1995 said:

Stang, you get the prize. You can't just slap a granatelli or summit MAF on the car. The granatelli was faulty and the summit didn't work right either. We put back the OEM and tuned it and the car is running again. As to the garage I took the car, they did know their stuff but they were backed up as all hell.

Sheesh, 3 months after my H/C/I my car is back on the road.:owned: