Getting rid of the TF street heat, and goin Cobra

crunchie12268 said:
and yes greenlx you are still a pyscho, but this time I will point out that I was being sarcastic so don't go crying about it.

I'm not crying, your the one whinning how slow your car is, not I. But go ahead, keep looking for problems in the WRONG area. One day you'll be fast ;) I'll take the pyscho comment as a compliment :)

• Sponsors (?)

crunchie12268 said:
I did do the cam right and it everyone has told me that it is a good cam with good numbers. The trick flow intake on a 302 gained a little bit of horsepower and a tiny bit of bottom end. Then the 347 test were the Street heat lost 28 ft/lbs of tq from the stock. And also, they use these intakes on supercharged cars, my car doesn't need that much air.

And another thing pyscho GreenLX, I am loosing about 15 bucks and 4 hours of labor.... its okay, I just wont drive my car for a day and save gas money.

what kinda bull**** information is that. where did you get it, link please?

Grn92LX said:
I'm not crying, your the one whinning how slow your car is, not I. But go ahead, keep looking for problems in the WRONG area. One day you'll be fast ;) I'll take the pyscho comment as a compliment :)

I will keep looking thanks.... but in the mean time, chill out, this isn't your car. Some day it will be fast, or fast enough, but until then I will keep on trying to fix the wrong things.

and the info on the 347 intake testing is in this months issue of 5.0 mag.

and believe me, I have checked all the piping, and electronics, timing, fuel pressure, vaccum leak, cyclinder pressure, and just about every other damn thing you can do.

this intake makes power above 4000 rpms, but until then it is a stump, maybe this intake works for people who operate at higher rpms, but I need bottom end, and simply put, there is none. and I can drive, go enough at least..... I don't know what makes a "good" driver or anything, but I don't miss gears I can switch them damn fast, and I know where the power is in my car. The only thing I don't do is launch it, and I don't think that makes somebody a bad driver.

greenlx, thanks for the constructive critcism, it helped :)

That 347 Test in this months issue has to be read carefully, as the magazine noted. The reason the trick flow intake perfomed poorly was becasue they used the street intake, idle - 5500, and put it against higher flow intakes. The TF track heat would be a much better fit for a 347, not the street heat.

I can say I started off with a Cobra intake on my old hatch back.It had TW heads,F cam and so on.I got talked into a street heat intake and it was worse than the cobra intake I had.I ended up with a Eldebrock RPM and solved all problems.BTW I had cast iron GT40's,stage 1 trick flow cam,trackheat intake and made 282/305 on the dyno which was surprising to me considering there was no port work and the motor had a ton of miles on it.Later and I would have to agree with some of theothers and say that going from the street heat to the Cobra is not gonna do much cause power wise there was not that much difference but could tell a little

I will be the first to say that the TFS intakes suck...(except for thte TFS R)...with just an intake swap...from a Cobra to a TFS street heat...the car lost low end...500RPM or so...,However, I don't necessarly think that this is all of your problems...check the compression as stated earlier...see how the cam is installed...check the rocker arm geometry...etc...

finally some people start to agree, but I have already checked compression and all that.

But, everybody has there opinions on things, nobody "knows" for a fact that I will gain or loose power, I know my car better than any of you so I think this is what will help. It may not, but I didn't loose tons of money here. So calm down

crunchie12268 said:
the intake is a hunk of junk, and that is my opinion. The Cobra may not make me more power, but overall I think it is cleaner looking, and it will compliment my GT40's.

crunchie12268 said:
and the info on the 347 intake testing is in this months issue of 5.0 mag.

this intake makes power above 4000 rpms, but until then it is a stump, maybe this intake works for people who operate at higher rpms, but I need bottom end, and simply put, there is none. and I can drive, go enough at least..... I don't know what makes a "good" driver or anything, but I don't miss gears I can switch them damn fast, and I know where the power is in my car. The only thing I don't do is launch it, and I don't think that makes somebody a bad driver.

greenlx, thanks for the constructive critcism, it helped :)

Ok smart guy, what makes you think that TFS rates this intake from IDLE -5500 rpms and you say it doesnt make power until 4000? Something doesnt sound right there and its not the intake....your combo isnt doing something, the intake is doing all it can.

Im willing to bet that you switch them out and you still have the same problem. If you are switching for "looks" then fine go ahead. We are all here telling you that the 2 intakes arent different enough to bring back a TON of power that you are missing.

You STILL have not addressed the cam issue yet you claim you checked everything. Research the E-cams...see how many people love and hate them. Then ask yourself why. Degreeing a cam is crucial since parts have tolerances that can change it. But you know what, you and the guys who tell you these things no better. They say a intake thats made for idle-5500 is too big. Maybe you need something from 0-3000rpms :rlaugh: Guys with these intakes that put them on ALL STOCK motors with STOCK e7 heads see an improvement. Your combo SHOULD flow more air than stock motors, yet those intakes arent too big for them. So what makes u think its too big for you? :shrug:

And dont trust magazine articles too much...concentrate on the small writing under the dyno numbers rather than the power numbers themselves. :nice: Magazines arent going to put up the "truest" power numbers...look at how many ads they run :rolleyes:

Highbredcloud said:
I will be the first to say that the TFS intakes suck...(except for thte TFS R)...with just an intake swap...from a Cobra to a TFS street heat...the car lost low end...500RPM or so...,However, I don't necessarly think that this is all of your problems...check the compression as stated earlier...see how the cam is installed...check the rocker arm geometry...etc...

They suck? So do edelbrock intakes suck to? They run hand in hand. If it loses low end, how much i would like to know BTW and how u figured this out, then it should gain it on the top end.

If they suck, then i suppose that people are buying them for now reason. These are the type of comments that are rediculous(sp?)on the internet. People go fast with the parts. Its about a whole combo not just one component.

nmcgrawj said:
And dont trust magazine articles too much...concentrate on the small writing under the dyno numbers rather than the power numbers themselves. :nice: Magazines arent going to put up the "truest" power numbers...look at how many ads they run :rolleyes:

Good point. I quit getting the magazines for that reason. Some of the test they ran were complete BS. On some of the combo buildups, they do it all backwards.

nmcgrawj said:
They suck? So do edelbrock intakes suck to? They run hand in hand. If it loses low end, how much i would like to know BTW and how u figured this out, then it should gain it on the top end.

If they suck, then i suppose that people are buying them for now reason. These are the type of comments that are rediculous(sp?)on the internet. People go fast with the parts. Its about a whole combo not just one component.

Yeah...they suck except for the TFS R intake...and can you tell me where I made the reference to the Edelbrock intakes in my prior post?

Go to http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/

under the "read media articles"
follow it to

Super Ford February 2000

"Intake the Power...Sorting through the Streetable 5.0 Intakes on AFM's DynoJet"...see how "they run hand in hand..."

YOU know what is ridiculous? Instead of real world experience advice...I have to sit here and read your nonsese and than I have to proove my point by surfing the web and proving my self correct just for people like you to finally realize that maybe and just maybe people are to ignorant to look past their denial...enjoy the reading. :flag:

Greg, how fast are you with your edelbrock intake? I agree that the edelbrock performer/rpm intakes are better than the TFS street/track BUT to say they suck is very misleading comming from someone in the 13's. My friend went 11.0 @ 125 with a TFS street, my friend just this weekend went 11.4 @ 121 with a TFS intake. Even I went 12.8 @ 109 shifting early and running lean. How fast were you again?? My car made pretty strong bottom end with the TFS intake. You could compare my lean dyno graph to a tuned afr/fti/performer graph and it makes just as much if not more (depending on the combo) Nate is 100% correct its the ENTIRE combo not usually just one part.

Grn92LX said:
Greg, how fast are you with your edelbrock intake? I agree that the edelbrock performer/rpm intakes are better than the TFS street/track BUT to say they suck is very misleading comming from someone in the 13's. My friend went 11.0 @ 125 with a TFS street, my friend just this weekend went 11.4 @ 121 with a TFS intake. Even I went 12.8 @ 109 shifting early and running lean. How fast were you again?? My car made pretty strong bottom end with the TFS intake. You could compare my lean dyno graph to a tuned afr/fti/performer graph and it makes just as much if not more (depending on the combo) Nate is 100% correct its the ENTIRE combo not usually just one part.

Well Mike...I wouldn't know how fast I can be with my Performer...since I decided to keep the Cobra...but for *****s and giggles I just may end up putting it on to see what they hype is about...or NOT...I really don't care...But lets keep this fair...my 3600lbs vert can only do so much with a 2.00 60ft...Hey at least it went 105MPH with 3.73's...A/C full smog...and a 65mm TB! :rolleyes: Who knows...maybe I can't drive or my car can't hook?

AND yes...I will say this again...TFS intakes suck...primarly because of the upper intake design...the lower actually flows...and they are possibly the most ugly intakes that can be out on the market right now...YOU know what other intake sux...the Vortech/Saleen intake...you know what is misleading...company advertisements beautifying their products...Real life examples...here. The definition of what I consider bottom end will differ from what you consider bottom end by at least 1000RPM...I got money on that...knowing how you do your setups...

Highbredcloud said:
Well Mike...I wouldn't know how fast I can be with my Performer...since I decided to keep the Cobra...but for *****s and giggles I just may end up putting it on to see what they hype is about...or NOT...I really don't care...But lets keep this fair...my 3600lbs vert can only do so much with a 2.00 60ft...Hey at least it went 105MPH with 3.73's...A/C full smog...and a 65mm TB! :rolleyes: Who knows...maybe I can't drive or my car can't hook?

AND yes...I will say this again...TFS intakes suck...primarly because of the upper intake design...the lower actually flows...and they are possibly the most ugly intakes that can be out on the market right now...YOU know what other intake sux...the Vortech/Saleen intake...you know what is misleading...company advertisements beautifying their products...Real life examples...here. The definition of what I consider bottom end will differ from what you consider bottom end by at least 1000RPM...I got money on that...knowing how you do your setups...

So i guess i just pull info out of my back pocket ah? LOL So you have your "real world" example and Mike(grn92lx) just posted 3. Your combo ran better with the cobra....why? Probably because the cobra completed the PACKAGE better.

When guys go to people like Ed C., Jay Allen, Buddy Rawls or any cam grinder, do they all go buy Cobra intakes to keep their low end? NO. Because its the WHOLE combo. The intake will NOT make or break the low end unless u get extreme with an R intake or something big like that. It has a little something to do with it...just like a TB....just like cylinder heads. If you have a cam that is made to work with a specific intake, no matter which one, and to go along with the heads and the rest of the package, YOU WILL get what you want. You think that the TFS sucks because it didnt perform and another intake did. Well, i hate to tell you but the reason it did is because it fits better with the other pieces.

My only thing is that you just dont post that u "dislike" the intake, you post they "suck" so when newbies come on here they think the same. What people need to realize is that different intakes perform well in different situations. Putting a combo together with your goals in mind should be your number 1 concern and that goal can be achieved with just about any brand.

Highbredcloud said:
Yeah...they suck except for the TFS R intake...and can you tell me where I made the reference to the Edelbrock intakes in my prior post?

Go to http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/

under the "read media articles"
follow it to

Super Ford February 2000

"Intake the Power...Sorting through the Streetable 5.0 Intakes on AFM's DynoJet"...see how "they run hand in hand..."

YOU know what is ridiculous? Instead of real world experience advice...I have to sit here and read your nonsese and than I have to proove my point by surfing the web and proving my self correct just for people like you to finally realize that maybe and just maybe people are to ignorant to look past their denial...enjoy the reading. :flag:

The reason i brought up Edel. was because there are a lot of people running those....and they perform....and there are a lot of people running TFS stuff...and they perform too. So i just figured, with your since of thinking that Edel. sucked too...i guess people are running these things with success for no reason.

Denial? How is it that we(i) am in denial when there is proof of the intakes working well?

I said it above and i will say it now...its the combo, not each component. You can just about make anything work for you...you have to DESIGN the combo to MAKE it work.

And what proof do u have that TFS intakes dont flow(well except for the R series)?

nmcgrawj said:
So i guess i just pull info out of my back pocket ah? LOL So you have your "real world" example and Mike(grn92lx) just posted 3. Your combo ran better with the cobra....why? Probably because the cobra completed the PACKAGE better.

When guys go to people like Ed C., Jay Allen, Buddy Rawls or any cam grinder, do they all go buy Cobra intakes to keep their low end? NO. Because its the WHOLE combo. The intake will NOT make or break the low end unless u get extreme with an R intake or something big like that. It has a little something to do with it...just like a TB....just like cylinder heads. If you have a cam that is made to work with a specific intake, no matter which one, and to go along with the heads and the rest of the package, YOU WILL get what you want. You think that the TFS sucks because it didnt perform and another intake did. Well, i hate to tell you but the reason it did is because it fits better with the other pieces.

My only thing is that you just dont post that u "dislike" the intake, you post they "suck" so when newbies come on here they think the same. What people need to realize is that different intakes perform well in different situations. Putting a combo together with your goals in mind should be your number 1 concern and that goal can be achieved with just about any brand.

I take it that you didn't read the article tha I posted earlier...AND even though I'm not a fan of AFM...I think that article is the closest comparison that I've yet seen...my props to Rick.

The only difference between Mike and I is that I go by personal experience in all of my examples and...not what some guy did or said he did...

Why do you think the infamous FTI combo consists of the Performer intake? Well without Ed C here I can only make an A$$ out of myself and assume that it works the best in achieving great low end TQ as well as higher RPM pull...And if memory serves correctly I believe before the Cobra went extinct...FTI used that for its package...as well...

But I'm sure you already knew that the Cobra and the Performer go "hand in hand"...so why would a 200-210cfm intake be chosen to run with a 245cfm AFR 165 heads? why not go with the Holley or the RPM or even the TrickFlow intakes? And I will say this again and again...The TFS intakes suck with the exception of the R intake...primarly because of the upper design on the street/track heat...the lower actually is good...So why not change the design of the upper...? you may ponder...well guess what...they did and they call it the R intake...and guess what...its a BIG intake for a 302.

You don't know anything thing about my combo's...I've spoken with Ed C before...I think I actually might have been a customer once or three times...who knows for sure...I stopped counting.

I do agree with you...its all in the combo...no sour grapes here...seems to me you're the one stuck with the TFS intake...

nmcgrawj said:
The reason i brought up Edel. was because there are a lot of people running those....and they perform....and there are a lot of people running TFS stuff...and they perform too. So i just figured, with your since of thinking that Edel. sucked too...i guess people are running these things with success for no reason.

Denial? How is it that we(i) am in denial when there is proof of the intakes working well?

I said it above and i will say it now...its the combo, not each component. You can just about make anything work for you...you have to DESIGN the combo to MAKE it work.

And what proof do u have that TFS intakes dont flow(well except for the R series)?

My way of thinking...lol...If everybody thinks the same...than nobody is really thinking are they now?

You want my proof again? I'll have to charge you this time.

Highbredcloud said:
I take it that you didn't read the article tha I posted earlier...AND even though I'm not a fan of AFM...I think that article is the closest comparison that I've yet seen...my props to Rick.

The only difference between Mike and I is that I go by personal experience in all of my examples and...not what some guy did or said he did...

Why do you think the infamous FTI combo consists of the Performer intake? Well without Ed C here I can only make an A$$ out of myself and assume that it works the best in achieving great low end TQ as well as higher RPM pull...And if memory serves correctly I believe before the Cobra went extinct...FTI used that for its package...as well...

But I'm sure you already knew that the Cobra and the Performer go "hand in hand"...so why would a 200-210cfm intake be chosen to run with a 245cfm AFR 165 heads? why not go with the Holley or the RPM or even the TrickFlow intakes? And I will say this again and again...The TFS intakes suck with the exception of the R intake...primarly because of the upper design on the street/track heat...the lower actually is good...So why not change the design of the upper...? you may ponder...well guess what...they did and they call it the R intake...and guess what...its a BIG intake for a 302.

You don't know anything thing about my combo's...I've spoken with Ed C before...I think I actually might have been a customer once or three times...who knows for sure...I stopped counting.

I do agree with you...its all in the combo...no sour grapes here...seems to me you're the one stuck with the TFS intake...

Stuck with it? Nah not really.....I wont even be running a 302 based motor. I could care less about your combos and how many times u have dealt with Ed. Im all about having a fast daily driver with great power from idle to about 6k or so and thats not what you have,how fast is your car btw? :nice:

And those packages from FTI go beyond just the plain old performer...they have people running the RPM's, RPM II's, ported performers, and ya know what even TFS intakes. If you redesign the cam to work with the bigger intakes, they will perform just as well. But you know what, some guys are so obsessed with "low end torque" that they are willing to run slower on the track. But we are beating a dead horse cause you seem pretty stuck in your ways.

The point is, is that if what you say is "true", then why are there people running VERY well with these intakes? I guess they must be cheating or something because if something sucks, i dont expect it to succeed. Maybe you dont like the looks, or even the design, but none the less, the design WORKS. Plenty of guys have their brand preference, its just a shame they must shoot down other products...even when the products WORK.

And one other thing, could you explain what sucks about the upper intake? What sucks about it that doesnt suck on the cobra or Edel? (this isnt trying to be a jack ass, i really want to know )