glass packs good idea or not?????????

• Sponsors (?)

The FMX will handle the power... but who knows for how long. Definately install a good tranny cooler.

And yes, it's a 3 speed auto.

What I would do is run the FMX until it gives you problems, then swap to a different transmission.

That's what my plan has been, except my FMX has been darn reliable. Been about 5 years now.

im having the Fmx rebuilt when i do rebuild my engine... i was also thinking of puting a shift kit into it... 70 nitrous... you are probally right i probally should upgrade my cooling fo the tranny which i will look into... but thanx again guys you are a real help to me since im new to restoring cars.....

i have a FMX in one of my 71s and i beat the hell out of it for 5 years. i am talking about burnouts at every stop......it finally lost 2nd gear. it was an original 56,000 mile car when i got it. i dont know anyone who has ever had a beater that was beat on like mine and lasted so long. all i ever had to do to the car was rebuild the carb. but about the FMX, it will handle some abuse stock, but there are not many performance upgrades for the FMX. try looking for a C6.

the FMX is a strong tranny, but how long it will handle 500hp will depend on the quality of parts you have put in, and how you tune the shift kit. also when you install a trans cooler, get one that is rated for 26,000lb gvw or better. that will help keep your tranny fluid cool and prevent problems.

ok thanks im kinda inbetween keeping the fmx and rebuilding it with a shift kit some new better cooling lines or getting a c6 and rebuild that one...... i will probally just take a chance with the fmx since its orginal....

I had an FMX in a '69 MAch 1 w/ a 351W. It did a fine job, though I wasn't running 500hp! Run it until it gives up (mine never did) then worry about it.

Mufflers: I used glass packs on the '69 and had to replace them every 3-4 years. I use Flowmaster 2 chamber (don't recall the #) on my '73 Mach 1 and they are fantastic!

DK