Glittery oil

ok so as some may know i have just rebuilt my 302 from bare block to running. I changed my oil today, after aprox. 50 miles or so when i drained the pan it looked good when i took off the oil filter and dumped that out, it was glittery with real fine "dust" in it. the history goes to wasted cam crank all the good stuff. could i have had some residual crap in the oil pump since i didnt replace that stupid i know but ran out of money.
Seeing this is the first oil change on a brand new motor is fine dust expected?

• Sponsors (?)

I'd say, run a little bit of cheap oil in there some more to clean it up real good. ( thought you were suppoosed to go for 300-500 miles anyway) then if there is still dust then start biting your nails, but it shouldn't be a problem. Tough call if you didn't replace that oil pump when you had the chance.

With most fresh engines, at the first and maybe second break in oil changes, you will probably see metal flake in the oil. Go another couple hundred miles and change it again. There shouldn't be much at all at the second change.

I wouldn't start biting my nails for a good long time. If your oil pressure is good when you run the car and the glitter effect decreases at your oil change intervals, then things are going as planned.