Going All Out!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WEll after triying to aquire a kenne bell blown '96 Cobra with 14,452 miles and not being able to get it, I've decided to go all out and build up a bad ass engine.
What i have in mind is to powerdyne supercharge my bone stock 85k mile '95 gt and just build a powerful engine on the side.
Now I want to start with a strong base, ie a srong block. I was thinking of using an aluminum Ford racing catalog 351 block rated at 1,000hp. it may be overkill for street but i want to know that i have a block capable of handling such power levels. I would fit it with Forged internals, top it off with aluminum heads, and my heart says a twin screw kenne bell blower, but i'd consider turbo(s) for the reason that this engine would go into a street car which would be driven atleast everyother day, so the better gas mileage i would get the better(and if i'm not mistaken turbos dont rob power from the engine as SCs do, which would hurt gas mileage, maybe not by alot but it still does).
The only problem is that this engine would be going into a California car(the '95 GT), so it would have to meet emmissions standards my goal is to have a 450-500HP CA street legal car, but be able to bump up boost and generate 700 or so hp on any given weekend without fear of engine bloweing up. oh yeah and the engine would be stroked, but I wouldnt want to bore into the block right away, for it will be a $1,500-$2,000 block so i want it to last atleast one rebuild after the initial set-up. the engine/poweradder will cost me around 10K, but this will be a 2-3 year project, even then I know i would have to go with a much stronger transmission(probably a T56) and the rear end(again, probably a beefed up 9 inch for overall strength) and the chassis will have to be strenghtened with a roll cage and the usual, subframes, ect.. suspension would be set up for street/strip and of course swap out the K member for a lighter tubular one.
as far as the outside it would remain stock except for some aftermarket wheels and a good wax job on the laser red paint... now that i think of it i may have to go with an aftermarket hood for clearance purposes, but defenetly would like to keep it as low as possible. I would also put on some ET streets wides out back and skinnies up front every once in a while for other domestic/Ford guys eye candy

tell me what you think, i know the post is long but this is something that i'll be looking forward to for the next couple of years. Any suggestions/opinions will be accepted and taken into consideration.

:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

5spd GT said:
Definatly sounds like a plan :nice:

Why powerdyne...I would go with something a bit better...Vortech, Paxton, etc.... :shrug:

I'm going with a powerdyne because of its relative inexpensiveness, I dont want to spend 3k on a sc and use it only for a couple of years and then just get rid of it, i'd rather buy a $1,500 or so powerdyne and use the other money i saved towards the build up, I only plan to keep it at 6psi so i dont need an sc with room to grow. Later i'd buy a kenne bell for the 351 :D

MarSaleenMustan said:
I'm going with a powerdyne because of its relative inexpensiveness, I dont want to spend 3k on a sc and use it only for a couple of years and then just get rid of it, i'd rather buy a $1,500 or so powerdyne and use the other money i saved towards the build up, I only plan to keep it at 6psi so i dont need an sc with room to grow. Later i'd buy a kenne bell for the 351 :D

Cool...well a S/C trim is 5-6psi and is 1600 or so at superchargersforless.com...and its a bit more reliable...just a thought...your car will be a beast when you get it done :nice:

Have you looked into a dart block? You can bore those babies up to .125 :spot: You're average stroker is only a .03 overbore. I would go with a big n/a injected stroker to get by emisions in CA, contact FTI or some other custom cam place and talk to them about you're plans. I bet Ed can get you a cam to pass. I plan on 600hp n/a out of my carbed 418, but I dont have to pass the sniffer. Good luck.
mike.

5.0 HOtrain said:
Have you looked into a dart block? You can bore those babies up to .125 :spot: You're average stroker is only a .03 overbore. I would go with a big n/a injected stroker to get by emisions in CA, contact FTI or some other custom cam place and talk to them about you're plans. I bet Ed can get you a cam to pass. I plan on 600hp n/a out of my carbed 418, but I dont have to pass the sniffer. Good luck.
mike.

is this Dart block you speak of alumminum?, and about how much is it?... as far as going EFI its a defenite, generaly more stretable and defenetly better ofr smog tests.

MarSaleenMustan said:

is this Dart block you speak of alumminum?, and about how much is it?... as far as going EFI its a defenite, generaly more stretable and defenetly better ofr smog test

Thats why i said "pipedreams" in response to your earlier thread. It seems u dont know enough to be tackling a project as such..If you dont know what a Dart block is, with the plans that you have, then I really suggest you do some more research before undergoing such a project. The company " Dart" makes a 302 and 351 block, either in Aluminum or Iron. Both have 4 bolt mains, capable of a 4.125 bore, and can hold upwards of 1500 hp. They run for $2000. Good luck

sirsureshot39 said:
Thats why i said "pipedreams" in response to your earlier thread. It seems u dont know enough to be tackling a project as such..If you dont know what a Dart block is, with the plans that you have, then I really suggest you do some more research before undergoing such a project. The company " Dart" makes a 302 and 351 block, either in Aluminum or Iron. Both have 4 bolt mains, capable of a 4.125 bore, and can hold upwards of 1500 hp. They run for $2000. Good luck

I knew of "Dart" as a company, i knew they made all kinds of engine blocks and for sure had an iron one capable of huge amounts of HP. I just hadnt researched them enough to know if they offered one in aluminum or not. I'm trying to keep it as "ford" as I can and I'm not going to exeed 800hp due to the fact that this will be a street driven car and thered be no point in going into the 1,000+ hp levels because i woudlnt have the suspension set up for it, therefore 450-500 street hp would sufice and have the engine/internals capable of withstanding 700+ for a weekend everyonce in a while, ie add boost. even then I know there are a lot more variables involved like betterflowing heads,cam ect. but i feel 700hp is attainable. I will be honest and tell you i dnotknow 100% of whats gonna go into it, but i want to start off with a solid foundation, in this case the FRPP aluminum block.

TIMMY2734 said:
You say you dont want to spend 3k for a better blower setup, but you are for some reason wanting to spend around 5-6 thousand for the aluminum block as opposed to 2k for the iron

well I dont see whats "SO" bad about the powerdyne unit for the price, I work at a Ford dealership so I would get it at a discount. Like I have said I dont plan on growing with the SC I put on my bone stock engine right now. That will be done with the brand new Kenne Bell or perhaps TT setup.

as far as the 5-6 thousand dollar aluminum block i dont see where you get that from, the one that I have in mind (FRPP 351 aluminum block rated at 1,000HP) goes for around 2k MSRP, again i work at the dealership so i'll get a discount on it.
Obvious reason i wanna go with aluminum over iron is for the weight, the less weight you have to move around the less gas you need to move it and the quicker the car will move. Now this wont be a 1 or 2 year project, more like 3-4, unless I find a way to come up with more "disposable income".