going to track tonight, should I use my 18x9 cobras or stock 16X8's for best time?

RioRed94vert

Jun 13, 2005
kansas city
i am going to the track tonight and was wondering how much time it would take off iff i used my stck wheels instead of my heavy cobras. i have 3.73's and traction on my car is not an issue. I just got my o/r h pipe in and really need to crack 14's. How will the smaller tires affect my 60 foot?thanx guys

• Sponsors (?)

smaller tires? smaller overall height or what....

You will do better letting some air pressure out of the stock wheels and tires than the 18's assuming they are close to the same width.... because they will absorb more of the initial hit b/c they have more sidewall....

all this is considering you don't have drag radials on the 18's

jason

RioRed94vert said:
i am going to the track tonight and was wondering how much time it would take off iff i used my stck wheels instead of my heavy cobras. i have 3.73's and traction on my car is not an issue. I just got my o/r h pipe in and really need to crack 14's. How will the smaller tires affect my 60 foot?thanx guys

If traction isn't an issue, then lighter rotating mass is going to win you better times. If you are going to smoke'em, then stick with your larger combo. I seriously doubt you will break into the 14s with your combo. You'll need better gearing and more power to do so. 4.30s are right for a stock AOD convertible to reach optimum RPM in the quarter. And you look like you'll just be making enough power (barely) to crack the 14s with perfect shifting and traction with proper gearing. AODs and convertibles are not particularly drag race friendly from the factory.

Boost it and try again. You'll find that 13s will easily be possible with a 4.10 rear and your car is much more peppy. And if you are smart about using a superchager kit that is ready to install and run, you will spend much less getting faster than assembling a menagerie of parts that aren't necessarily going to work well together.