Good Luck Finding Tools

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Acworth, GA
I started off last night with the realization that I'm going to need an air chisel to get this damn glued flooring up in my living room. No big deal, go out and buy an air chisel. I am simply amazed at how hard it is to find tools these days. You can buy $12 to $25 air chisels all over the place, but I mean, really? How good can it be for $12. You know it's made from a clothes drier that was recycled with the lint still in it. I found an IR 117K medium duty on Sears' website. Call them up to see how long to get it, and it's like you're asking for Polynesian prostitute, they can't even find it if you give them the sku number from their own website. Sears has gone straight down the ****ter these days. Fastenall can't have one till monday, and they are expensive. Northern Tool wants 10 days to get the damn thing. I searched all over the internet, and findally found an IR 121K6 Heavy Duty on Amazon of all places for $88. Next time I need tools, I'm just going to go to Amazon first, and resign myself to putting the project off for another week.

Kurt

• Sponsors (?)

Tell me about stupid set backs like this when you are trying to get a project done. Ive been remodeling my three bathrooms all at once (completed one before removing the ****ter and vanity from others). I had to run all over town for tools, and little plumbing supplies. I HATE plumbing now. Hope you get that chisel quick so you can keep your sanity.

When I finish this damn flooring, I'm not remodeling anything for a long time. This job is exhausting. My Mustang has been on hold for 3 months now with the minor electrical problem.

Kurt

FWIW, those 12 dollar air chisels aren't that bad. When I bought my first compressor, I bought an air tool set from Harbor Freight. Spent less than $100 for a 1/2" impact, 3/8" ratchet, die grinder, and air chisel, along with some impact sockets and other accessories. Got quite a bit of use out of all of them disassembling the 67. Impact was the first to crap out, but it lasted a couple of years; upgraded it with an IR Thundergun. Just upgraded the ratchet, not because it failed, but because I needed some serious torque that I couldn't get anything else onto. Ratchet and the die grinder are still going strong, after about 8 years. I bought a big angle grinder from HF for dirt cheap too, and it's still running great, and I've added a couple more die grinders because they're cheap enough that I can have several with different fittings (cut off wheels, scotch-brite pad lock discs, 90 degree, straight, etc). Easier than changing out the tool at the end, and for <$20 each, it's worth the price.

Cheap tools aren't necessarily bad tools, if you understand when you can get away with a throw-away, and when you're going to want good quality.