Good Race Tonight...

Stinger

Founding Member
Jul 7, 2001
Shawnee, KS
I heard a couple cars running somewhere near my house so I went for a drive to find them. They were at a popular street racing hangout that's just out of town with no houses for nearly a mile in any direction.

When I pulled up the two cars that were racing drove by in the other direction (they were done racing). There was a late 80's Iroc Camaro racing an H22 equipped Prelude. The 'lude had the stock front wheels with no caps and 17's on the back. They didn't stop so I turned around and followed them. I was after the Camaro but the 'lude wanted to play (imagine that). So he pulled up beside me and I didn't bother to downshift out of 4th (didn't figure I'd need it) and he floored it and his car launched forward and slowly pulled away :stickpoke: So he slows back down and I roll up next to him in 3rd this time at about 3k revs. We go and I slowly walk away from him to redline. We stop at the local Sonic and talk a while. He heard my BOV so I told him I had a 2.3 Turbo. He said his mods were a pro ported head, header, full exhaust, cold air, new intake, and a 75 shot that he only uses at the track. Said he ran a 13:1 at Heartland Park last summer while spraying. Says he built the motor for a turbo so it's 8:1 compression. At this time I get a bit suspicious (most imports normally still run at least 9:1 with boost :headscratch: ).

So we decide to run from a dead stop. We head back out to where he was racing before and line up. At the drop of the hands I get a pretty good launch (as good as it can be on my 215-60-14" winter wheels :rolleyes: ) and get about a car length on him. I slowly pull away from him the rest of the run to 100mph. Ended up getting about 4 car lengths on him. He hits the brakes hard and stops way before me (I coasted out there a bit). He flies back to the start and says he wants to go again....said he got a bad launch. So we line up again. At the drop of the hands he jumps out there about 2 car lengths while I spin through first and second (I got bit by the bad launch bug this time and he got a killer launch somehow :headscratch: ). Then he managed to very slowly pull away from me until I shifted to 4th at which time I started pulling back on him until we reached the finish line. He ends up beating me by about 2 car lengths. :nuts:

I went back and looked at my blackmarks. On the first race I left about 10' of rubber in first and about 4 in second. Round two I left about 40' of rubber on the ground (and one was way darker than the other). Obviously my second launch was no good.

So I ask him if he was spraying and he claims he wasn't. He was sure as hell pulling alot harder the second time around though :headscratch: I was also suspicious since he returned to the start line so fast after getting beat. I think he may have turned on the spray before the second run. :nuts:

Now here is what doesn't make sense.
1) If it's 8:1 then how the hell does it run so strong n/a? I think he was BS'ing about that...it's probably 10:1 like stock.
2) Why was he so much stronger the second time? I think he was spraying.
3) Why is his air filter clear down by his front tire? Right before the race he got out and pulled a cover off of it from outside the car...Maybe that's how Prelude cold air kits are made...I don't know?

Either way, we called it a draw and decide to meet up again at a later date.

I was running 19.5psi and trap 98mph at this boost level according to the Gtech. How could he possibly run better than this n/a with 8:1 compression?

I guess I better turn it up a few psi before I run him again :D

This all took place at the track...I don't condone street racing :notnice: :spot:

Stinger

• Sponsors (?)

nice race, im abit scepticle on his provided ricer engine facts, and no spray sounds VERY fishy. if he was "tuned" for a turbo, why only run a 75shot? lol my n/a "non-tuned" 2.3 is taking 125hp+ quite nicely....playing it safe :shrug: ? or just plain dumb? :nice: anyways, good kill, slap some real rubber on that stang and eat him for dinner!

1st time I've been in this forum, but I gotta say, the info that Stinger provided was awesome. Very detailed comments. Anyways, I was never really into the G-tech theory, however, I have since changed my mind on it after reading a bit and getting some understanding on it. If you were trapping 98 mph which I believe you, and he was right with you pretty much the entire way, there is not much in the way of truth from him about not spraying. That car wont trap that type of speed without a power adder of some sort. I know that when you race somebody from a dig, and he/she gets the jump on you, its harder to hook up cause you see the other vehicle start pulling ahead, which human reaction is to floor it causing the launch to be much worst then one might expect...nonetheless, good info and I agree, add some rubber or start from a roll.. :flag:

Whoa! you were doing all of this on a track right? :rolleyes:
and I'm glad I'm not the only one who hears sounds and goes to get involved.
Anyway. I don't know much specific stuff about prelude. EXCEPT there is an H22A4 97 'lude sitting at my shop with a hole in the transmission case big enough to get both hands in. Chuck's is 195hp stock, weighs 3200lbs and has a K&N. He also has a cold air with a cover. It runs good for a stock car but will never be the racecar he thinks it is. I beat him(all the time) 2-3 cars in the lightning in the 1/8th. I've been in an identical car with a 75shot and it didn't even compare to amanda's car. I feel for sure he would have been spraying it by your story.....
Honda---Does not equal strong take off.
Chuck has to launch at 5k just to get it up into Vtec.(pisses him off because I call it Zetec) :D

351wcoupe said:
Whoa! you were doing all of this on a track right? :rolleyes:
and I'm glad I'm not the only one who hears sounds and goes to get involved.
Anyway. I don't know much specific stuff about prelude. EXCEPT there is an H22A4 97 'lude sitting at my shop with a hole in the transmission case big enough to get both hands in. Chuck's is 195hp stock, weighs 3200lbs and has a K&N. He also has a cold air with a cover. It runs good for a stock car but will never be the racecar he thinks it is. I beat him(all the time) 2-3 cars in the lightning in the 1/8th. I've been in an identical car with a 75shot and it didn't even compare to amanda's car. I feel for sure he would have been spraying it by your story.....
Honda---Does not equal strong take off.
Chuck has to launch at 5k just to get it up into Vtec.(pisses him off because I call it Zetec) :D

Yeah, it made no since to me either. I figured he was spraying, had ALOT in an all motor setup, or was already turbo but had a bypass valve so I couldn't hear it.

Stinger

Stinger said:
Yeah, it made no since to me either. I figured he was spraying, had ALOT in an all motor setup, or was already turbo but had a bypass valve so I couldn't hear it.

Stinger

Probably a bypass valve, since you didn't look under his hood. :) Bypass is generally better than blow-off anyhow (engine runs smoother, harder to stall..) on a street car.

Also, your second-from-a-stop run was actually your fourth, so maybe your intercooler was heat soaked (higher charge temperature = less power, ya?), which would explain a drop in power.

:shrug:

conor said:
Also, your second-from-a-stop run was actually your fourth, so maybe your intercooler was heat soaked (higher charge temperature = less power, ya?), which would explain a drop in power.

:shrug:

Well, the first two were about 30 minutes before the second two...so I think it had time to cool :D

I also had my fan running the whole time and it was about 20 degrees outside.

Stinger

your right bone, one more reason why stangnet is goin down the poo-tube, long live dumb ruled/over advertised poorly programmed stangnet! i think u should ban all the smart people, just too see how fast stangnet's hits drop! wow that would be awsome:spot:

ps: btw, when did u become a moderator? kind of a newb to be a mod? or are you just trying to brown nose enough to maybe get noticed for a mod position....lol, that is sad :nonono:

i am not a mod.....never said i was

just pissed that i got banned on my original Screen Name because of a street racing thread, old name "the bone"...feel free to look it up

it was obvious i was singled out because threads like this happen all the time...and nobody even gets a warning

i spoke to the powers that be, and they said no prob, just register a new SN...cause i was singled out and it was total BS

if the rules are to be enforced...let them be uniform, not random cause 1 moderator has a stick up his tail pipe for me

Bone Racing said:
i am not a mod.....never said i was

just pissed that i got banned on my original Screen Name because of a street racing thread, old name "the bone"...feel free to look it up

it was obvious i was singled out because threads like this happen all the time...and nobody even gets a warning

i spoke to the powers that be, and they said no prob, just register a new SN...cause i was singled out and it was total BS

if the rules are to be enforced...let them be uniform, not random cause 1 moderator has a stick up his tail pipe for me

I definately understand where your coming from about that. I never have problems with rules being enforced as long as its the same for everybody.
Our 2.3 moderators are pretty cool, especially with our own ignorance. :p

Chuck thinks an h22 with cams and complete exhaust, 100shot and tuned would get amanda's car, even on a good run. Big bunch of hear/say but if sort of knows what he's talking about.

Stinger you are taking notes from conor right?......sorry dude I had to do it.

If I ever get beat by a Prelude, I'm not gonna tell anybody. What a brave strong soul you are! I'm again proud to say I'm one of the founding members of the "Official Stinger Club"! I'll wear my t-shirt tomorrow!

the last generation Preludes were heavy. But trust me he had to of been spraying. I trapped 98 in that White GT I had at gateway. I ran a type SH he held me off till 60. But at 60 it was a pretty nice walking. To the tune of roughly 4-5 car lengths by 100mph. Now this kid had exhaust cold air intake header skunk stage 2 cams vtec controller cam gears ignition and no real weight added to his car. So this kid was spraying that last run!!!