Good tires for cheap 89 Mustang

1989FoxFan

Jan 19, 2020
Michigan
My 89 Mustang has been sitting for 10 years and the tires are dry rotted and I have decided to get it running. The problem is since it needs so much work I would like to get new/used tires for decently cheap to offset the restoration cost. If anyone knows any good models of tires to recommend for a decent price drop it below.

Any help would be appreciated

Best Regards,
89FoxFan

• Sponsors (?)

I got tires off Amazon. Really cheap but seem like decent tires.

Achilles ATR Sport 2 Performance Radial Tire - 235/40R18 95W
Sold by: Amazon.com Services LLC
Return window closed on Jan 31, 2020
$63.96

Cheap...... Epic Tour, Nexen, Ironman, Velozza, Sailun. All 40k mile tires

Tire Rack ships to local shops for install for an extra fee. Ships to your home also
Out of those, Nexen is the only one I'd put on my car. The others are all made by TBC, which we used to joke meant "Tires By Communists" at my last dealership since they're mostly made in Vietnam or China. They're garbage, always a pain in the ass to mount, and always need a lot of weight to balance compared to a good tire.

Nexen is the oddball of the cheap tire segment. They're South Korean, and started out selling tires primarily to fleets and used car lots under the name "Capitol Tire". They eventually rebranded their non-truck tires as Nexen, though you will still sometimes find "Capitol" branded tires for pickups, and started investing HEAVILY in their R&D and product awareness. They are now an OEM tire supplier for Hyundai, Kia, Fiat-Chrysler, Mitsubishi, Porsche, and Volkswagen, and their tires are still on the cheap side of the spectrum when shopping. I put Nexen N5000 Plus tires on my dad's Hyundai this last time around because he didn't rotate the expensive Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals and destroyed two of them due to cupping/scalloping. Once again the idiot didn't rotate his tires, but the Nexens have cupped so slightly over the same mileage that they're still driveable.

Hell, when I sold tires, I had customers that I'd sold Nexen Roadians for their Silverados and F150s come back and want to buy another set by name because they go 50,000 miles for half the price of the other name brands and perform well.

Out of those, Nexen is the only one I'd put on my car. The others are all made by TBC, which we used to joke meant "Tires By Communists" at our last dealership since they're mostly made in Vietnam or China. They're garbage, always a pain in the ass to mount, and always need a lot of weight to balance compared to a good tire.

Nexen is the oddball of the cheap tire segment. They're South Korean, and started out selling tires primarily to fleets and used car lots under the name "Capitol Tire". They eventually rebranded their non-truck tires as Nexen, though you will still sometimes find "Capitol" branded tires for pickups, and started investing HEAVILY in their R&D and product awareness. They are now an OEM tire supplier for Hyundai, Kia, Fiat-Chrysler, Mitsubishi, Porsche, and Volkswagen, and their tires are still on the cheap side of the spectrum when shopping. I put Nexen N5000 Plus tires on my dad's Hyundai this last time around because he didn't rotate the expensive Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals and destroyed two of them due to cupping/scalloping. Once again the idiot didn't rotate his tires, but the Nexens have cupped so slightly over the same mileage that they're still driveable.

I planned to get the Nexens because one of my relatives had them and they were pretty good on their Chrysler 200. Unfortunately, they do not make them in the size i need

I planned to get the Nexens because one of my relatives had them and they were pretty good on their Chrysler 200. Unfortunately, they do not make them in the size i need
You're right.

See if you can find the Ohtsu FP0612 in the correct 225/60/15 local to you, Discount Tire in my area carries them. They're pretty low-priced, and Ohtsu makes really good tires (they and Falken are both subsidiaries of Sumitomo, which also makes good tires).

You're right.

See if you can find the Ohtsu FP0612 in the correct 225/60/15 local to you, Discount Tire in my area carries them. They're pretty low-priced, and Ohtsu makes really good tires (they and Falken are both subsidiaries of Sumitomo, which also makes good tires).
They do have the Ohtsu FP0612 in the correct size needed but it is not the correct speed rating

They do have the Ohtsu FP0612 in the correct size needed but it is not the correct speed rating
It has an H speed rating in that size, are you planning on driving faster than 130mph?

images.png

H is plenty good enough for all we do with these cars

When you look at the speed ratings, you have to consider the context because the faster the tire is rated for the less the longevity it will have

UNIFORM TIRE QUALITY GRADE (UTQG) i
Treadwear 480
Traction - A
Temperature - A
  • SECTION WIDTH
  • ASPECT RATIO
  • RIM DIAMETER
  • OVERALL DIAMETER
    25.71"
  • RIM WIDTH RANGE
    6.0" - 8.0"
  • WEIGHT
    23 LBS
  • TREAD DEPTH
    10/32"
  • LOAD INDEX
    96 LBS
  • LOAD RANGE
    SL
  • MAX PSI
    51 PSI
  • SPEED RATING
    UP TO 130 MPH
  • SIDEWALL DESC.
    BSW - BLACK SIDE WALL
  • WARRANTY

Last edited:
I've gotten like new used tires on ebay, higher end brands, dirt cheap.
Just make sure to ask or look for the date code. I wouldn't buy over 3 years old.
I typically have done it when I want to try a new size, but aren't willing to risk fitment for $500 a pair...

Has anyone heard anything about Federal tires? I found a pair with good reviews and the V speed rating for a good price
Anything over the ‘H’ rating you’ll never need in these cars. In anything that isn’t built for it, 120+ gets pretty hairy on a county road - and I doubt you’ll be taking it that fast down the strip.

Nexens are pretty good tires. We mount and balance a lot of the cheaper overseas tires. Literally never had an issue with balancing or being tough to mount. No more than your Michelin or bf Goodrich are.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users