Good Trans swap?

• Sponsors (?)

Both transmissions are about the same. If you are going to swap the transmission out, swap it to something worth your while. The 3650 is also a one piece bellhousing and transmission, which is even more of PITA.

Kurt

Both transmissions are about the same. If you are going to swap the transmission out, swap it to something worth your while. The 3650 is also a one piece bellhousing and transmission, which is even more of PITA.

Kurt

3650 is much stronger then a T5. But like you said the 1 piece bell is a huge PITA is you have to pull the transmission, specially with long tubes.

Depending on what you need you could go Gforce, TKO, T56, etc.

3650 is much stronger then a T5. But like you said the 1 piece bell is a huge PITA is you have to pull the transmission, specially with long tubes.

Depending on what you need you could go Gforce, TKO, T56, etc.

The 3650 is not that much stronger, that is a myth. I had a friend go through three 3650s in his Cobra before he swapped to a T-5.

Kurt

The 3650 is not that much stronger, that is a myth. I had a friend go through three 3650s in his Cobra before he swapped to a T-5.

Kurt

If you want to look at it like that in the amount of time I've owned a car with a t5 I've rebuilt it 3x but my friend with a 3650 just only recently smoked a synchro. (He bought his 02 GT a month after I got my 95, and put way more mileage/passes on his car too.)

But stories like that don't really carry much weight because there are too many factors, so I wouldn't really use a point like that. More so to the point the 3650 has a higher torque rating, (then a t5) and one of the main reasons t5s take a crap is the case is bents/twists causing the main shaft to fall out of alignment. If you've ever lifted a t5 then a 3650 I don't need to tell you which one has a the stronger/heavier case.:nice:

If you want to look at it like that in the amount of time I've owned a car with a t5 I've rebuilt it 3x but my friend with a 3650 just only recently smoked a synchro. (He bought his 02 GT a month after I got my 95, and put way more mileage/passes on his car too.)

But stories like that don't really carry much weight because there are too many factors, so I wouldn't really use a point like that. More so to the point the 3650 has a higher torque rating, (then a t5) and one of the main reasons t5s take a crap is the case is bents/twists causing the main shaft to fall out of alignment. If you've ever lifted a t5 then a 3650 I don't need to tell you which one has a the stronger/heavier case.:nice:

I've rebuilt both trannies many times. The 3650 is heavier, but the gears inside are honestly about the same size. The 3650 is rated for more torque because it came in cars that had more torque. TTC isn't terribly accurate with their torque ratings. Just an example, a 3550 is rated at 375 ftlbs of torque, but I put about 700 ftlbs of torque through mine all the time.

Kurt

Well thank you all for your advice. So which one would be best for me if I put a Trick flow top end kit rated at 350 hp? Is this a good way to go for better power on my 95 Cobra?:shrug:

Those trick flow kits are a pretty good deal. The Trick Flow heads are very different in design from the other heads out there which give them some nice advantages. Not sure you will get 350 hp, but pretty close. I would try and track down and old Tremec 3550 for that car. You can find them for around $1K on ebay with everything you need.

Kurt