Got a coolant leak. Where is it?

Dan95-5.0

Jun 14, 2003
Manitoba, Canada
i have a coolant leak on top of the timing cover on the drivers side. :notnice: I'm not 100% sure where its comming from so i dont want to start replacing stuff without figuring out what the cause is. I changed the timing cover and intake gaskets when i did the H/C/I swap about 3 years ago. i tried letting the car idle with the puddle still there and cleaned up but i didnt see where its coming from. no bubbles or anything. i tightened the timing cover gasket and i think it made it worse. :mad: The oil is not milky so thats a plus :nice:

If i rent a coolant pressure tester, would help me find out where its coming from?

heres some pics of the leak
View attachment 224351
View attachment 224352

• Sponsors (?)

i have a coolant leak on top of the timing cover on the drivers side. :notnice: I'm not 100% sure where its comming from so i dont want to start replacing stuff without figuring out what the cause is. I changed the timing cover and intake gaskets when i did the H/C/I swap about 3 years ago. i tried letting the car idle with the puddle still there and cleaned up but i didnt see where its coming from. no bubbles or anything. i tightened the timing cover gasket and i think it made it worse. :mad: The oil is not milky so thats a plus :nice:

If i rent a coolant pressure tester, would help me find out where its coming from?

heres some pics of the leak
View attachment 224344
View attachment 224345

Check your waterneck, If you have one of those early chrome ford racing chrome waterneck, it leaks. Or the factory waterneck bolts come loose over the years

Good luck :)

I'm almost positive its the timing cover because its on the drivers side.

I tried to rent a coolant pressure tester but they didnt have to rent, only to buy. they wanted $120 so i passed.

going to build my own in the morning and fixing the leak all up in the afternoon. keeping my fingers crossed

good you found that was the problem. your pics aren't working for me, but from the talk it was sounding like it was sitting on the driver's side of the block right by the intake. I had this same problem end of last year and it ended up being the timing cover gasket was blown out on the top and forcing coolant from the pump out. never actually made it into the pan but practically had to tear the whole front end off to get to it to replace it.