Got a favor to ask and some questions I need answered!

danimaltheanima

Dec 3, 2003
I was wondering if someone out there would be willing to take the time to snap a few pics of some wires under the hood of there Mustang ll. Please snap some pics of the following wires.

1. Ignition wire (I need to tap into this for my MSD 6AL ignition module)

2. Oil Pressure Sending Unit wire.

3. Water Temp wire.

I had taken out the harness the Electronic Ignition Amplifire was attatched to, as I will not need it when using the MSD system. I have the MSD 6AL, MSD Dist, MSD Blaster 2 Coil just so yuh know where am at.

Without that harness in, I still have 2 wires by themselves hanging out of the black plasitc of my main harness. One has a round straight connecter on it, and looks like it would push right onto either the oil pressure sending unit screw or the water temp sending unit screw, or even one of the screws on the coil. The other has a small clip on it with a female looking connecter inside of it. Looks almost like the connecter right next to the brake booster on the main wire harness.

Q: What do they do and where do they go?

With that harness in there is 2 wires by themselves coming off of it. Bolth have round 90 degree connecters on them. Also look like they would push right on either side of the coil or oil pressure, water temp sending units.

Q: What do they do and where do they go?

1. Is the oil pressure sending unit wire within the harness I removed.

2. Is the water temp sending unit wire within the harness I removed.

Also I have a 770cfm Holley Street Avenger Carb. I will need a 12V wire going to the Electonic Choke.

Q: Which wire should I tap into?

Q: Is one of the wires on the main harness or on the Electronic Ignition Amplifire harness a wire I am supposed to use when using the MSD 6AL?

I am also running stock gages.

Q: Will I run into problems with my tack not working when using the MSD setup I have if this even affects the tack?

I am running a Powermaster 140 amp Alt. This I hooked up as a GM one wire. I unplugged the stock harness coming off the main harness going to the stock Alt.

Q: Will I run into problems with my tack not working when using this Alt setup if even affects the tack?

I had hooked up the battery in the engine bay. Without turning any switches in the car the map light was on, and would not go off when trying the switch. I hadn't messed with the wireing under the dash. It all worked normal before I took the old engine bay harness out. I now have a new engine bay harness in. No other lights on the car turned on by themselves but the map light.

Q: What would cause this light to stay on?

Q: Does something on the engine bay harness control the map light by any chance?

• Sponsors (?)

Oil pressure wire should have a braided sheath on it, and it's a tan/orange color with a 90 degree socket molded on it.

Water temp is approx same length as the 3-wire Duraspark distributor plug wires, is red(pink?) with a white stripe, and has a 90 degree socket molded on.

Coil wires are a red, and a green pair in the same terminal, and terminate in male spade connectors in a brown socket. From this , the horseshoe adapter plugs in and slides over the coil terminals.

All the above wires connect to the main underhood harness in an 8 cavity connector.

The straight connector from the main harness is the ground connector for the A/C compressor, and the idle solenoid. This attaches to a small harness (originally tie-wrapped to the coil/temp/dist/oil harness) with a blue plug (idle stop solenoid) at one end, and a male and female bullet connector at the other end (male into main harness, female for A/C compressor ground).

The reference to the connector by the brake booster is the fusible link for the rear window defroster grid if equipped (all the IIs have the above wire). Wire should be yellow.

The OE setup has a choke wire coming from the alternator harness, I believe it's a white wire with a single connector to plug onto the choke terminal. Power only when alt is turning.

Which style map lamp?

I know nothing of the MSD system.

It also depends on the year. The harness in my 76 is out of a 75 (after a fire wiped out the old one :damnit: ) But basicly most of what he said holds true. The oil, temp, and dist wires are as he said but my wiring has 2 of the Ford Oval-round-whatever plug that fall apart after too many years of under-hood heat. My A/C wire and choke wire both come from the back drivers corner. through the before mentioned plugs.

Hope this helps,

Tim

cobraii351 said:
but my wiring has 2 of the Ford Oval-round-whatever plug that fall apart after too many years of under-hood heat. My A/C wire and choke wire both come from the back drivers corner. through the before mentioned plugs.

Hope this helps,

Tim

Yep, mine has one with 4 terminals (duraspark box) and the 3 terminal dist connector as well. Didn't mention them, figured my post was confusing enough as it was :D

Never messed with the '75s, so I learned something new already today. Does this mean I get to go home early? :rlaugh:

hmmmm

Well you sure were right about that being a lil confusing. Actually as far as the dura spark wiring goes that you showed the pic of, mine is differant than that. I'll have to send you a few pics of what I have through your e-mail. I'd post the pics on here but for some reason I can't get the file size smaller its to big.

See I won't be using the stock coil wires because the MSD 6AL Module has wires that go to the coil. Therefore that eliminates the coil wires on the origanal harnes and I think what you called dura spark which is that grey box with the 2 plugs coming off of it.

As far as the choke wire I do not see that. The wires that went to the origanal Alt had a plug with 3 wires coming off of it. One thick gage wire with a round battery terminal connecter on it, and a small plug at the end of 2 thinner wires. I can snap a pic of that to and send it to your e-mail.

I suppose before doing anymore talking I'll have to send some pics out so you guys can see where I'm coming from.

Msd

There has got to be a bunch of guys in here with the entire MSD setup on there car that know how to do this. Because with this MSD setup I won't be using most of the origanal wiring that you were talking about. So that were I get comfused when trying to understand where your coming from.

Alt Harness

I won't be using that harness due to using an after market Alt. I am using a one wire powermaster alt. So I don't be using that harness. So I have to find which wire to use without using that. Everything under the hood is aftermarket for performance. Nothing will be stock. Well except the starter and the radiator.

Deadline

Well guys I gotta go under the knife on the 27 of this month. I have to get back surgery. So not to rush anyone but unless I get some answeres for my lil electical situation, my car will not be fired up for months to come. I put the fan, shroud, and radiator in today. So the only thing keeping me from firing this thing up now is some mesely wires. But I got to get it done soon cuz I'll be out of commision for a while very shortly.

Thanks guys.

Dan

Dan here is what I did with the my MSD 6AL

The large yellow wire still under the wire loom thats next to the brake booster is hot all the time I hooked that to the large red wire on the msd

The wire that used to go to + terminal coil is connected to the small red powerwire
on the msd.

Of course black is ground.

ACCEL coil is hooked to the wires provided for coil black/orange
since I have stock dist the purple and green wires are hooked to the Distributor using the magnetic pickup connector provided
white wire not used

as far as your choke pick one --any 12 ignition triggered wire will work. I used the one on the alt but for many years it was spiced to the radio wire under the dash

the tach is a autometer that work great with the msd you can get tach adapters for the older tach.

oil and wate are mechanical ...............

Hmmmm

Well I suppose I still have many problems as far as hooking this all up.

I have this mounted directly under the relay for frame of mind. Batter is in stock placement.

This is what I did with the MSD 6AL Module:

Main red/black power wires on MSD Module go to + and - battery terminals as should.

The MSD Module Magnetic Pickup wire (which is the green & purple wires in the black sheith) goes to the MSD Dist. When using this my understanding is you DO NOT use the white wire on the MSD Module.

The black & orange wires in which are also in a shrink wrapped shieth go to the MSD Blaster 2 Coil.

The only wires left are the white and the red wires. I already know I DO NOT use the white wire. So given the placement of the MSD Module, where would I run the red wire. The red wire needs to go to the ignition wire. My question is for the red wire, can I hook it up to the + side of the Relay Switch? Is that considered were the ignition wire would be?

Ok now for the gages.

Am I going to have to get some kind of MSD componant when using my stock Tachometer?

As for my OIL/TEMP/Alt I still have no answers for which wires I will be using for them. If someone that is using the MSD componants I am and is still using stock gages could take some pics or give me some good info that would help. I do want to use mechanical gages to in the future but I also want my stock gages to work. I want to keep this car as stock as I can but with giving it the most performance as possible also.