Got a little carried away - get in here!

9lb302

Dec 29, 2003
Was just messing around, going to replace my stock balancer...and 4 hours later I'm almost ready to pull the 56k mile motor out of the car!!

Tired of nickel and diming so it's time to go big... here's my thoughts.

Upgrade the BD11 to the XB-1A (can get a kit for cheap) and sell the BD kit.

Was then thinking heads and cam to go along with the XB-1A, but now I'm worried about the bottom end....So, now think I need to pull the motor, stroking or go 306,forging, heads, cam, upgrading the Cobra intake...

Suggestions or thoughts? It's too late to turn back!

• Sponsors (?)

Funny you ask, I don't have a 1 inch socket to even take off the old balancer....so on the bench with my blower and everything else sits my new pretty little Pioneer balancer.....

Dude,

What's up with your car???? Im confused :shrug:

This is part of your sig:

, Stk H/C, Cobra Intake, 9lb PD BD-11a, 65mm TB, , 255lb FP, Adj FP @ 38 lbs, 10:1 FMU, FMS Ceramics, Bassani Hi-Flo X, Borla Cat Back, Built AODE w/Transgo and cooler,

.Mustang Dyno #'s 240RWHP and 261RWTQ
Currently in need of a good tune!

Dont know what your injector size is, but you got a 10:1 FMU, youre running 9PSI (im assuming you have stock 19's). Your car only dynoed 240?

Something is not right there...Did you get A/F ratios on that dyno run?

Anyway..back to the topic...56K miles is kinda low for a new engine!
RC

LOL thats classic.

Anyhow I assume you have the proper tooling, like an engine hoist(well ya got the thing out didnt ya?), engine stand, torque wrench, feeler guages, model clay(for PTV clearance), piston ring files, bearing clearance tape, hone tool and a micrometer... along with A LOT OF patients?

Anyhow, wish you the best of luck.

Keep us updated.

94GTLaserRC said:
Dude,

What's up with your car???? Im confused :shrug:

.Mustang Dyno #'s 240RWHP and 261RWTQ
Currently in need of a good tune! [/I]

Dont know what your injector size is, but you got a 10:1 FMU, youre running 9PSI (im assuming you have stock 19's). Your car only dynoed 240?

Something is not right there...Did you get A/F ratios on that dyno run?
RC

something dosent seem right, I dynoed at 231 and I havent even touched the heads or cam yet.

Like stated above it was a Mustang Dyno... His numbers look pretty good FOR A MUSTANG DYNO... I would GUESS those numbers from the Mustang Dyno would yeild something like 330 hp and 350 torque on a Dyno Jet...

Im going to do a search and see if can get a good idea of a percentage difference...

From the searches i did, on average, there seems to be about a 25% decrease from a dyno jet to a mustang dyno...

nunly94gt said:
Well i be damned if I ever use a mustang dyno. Makes you feel bad about your car.
So why pull the engine? Replace the balancer and start doing other stuff to the car.
Its probably actually better for dyno tuning than a standard dynojet. since it gets an accurate load, unlike the dynojet where it is just spinning the weighted drums, you can get more accurate of what the car would be doing on the street. I have heard of people dynotune on a dynojet, then blow the motor first time down the track because it was tuned for the dyno because the load was lower

Thanks for the replies, here are my thoughts after the weekend (yes, I have help and the tools available).

My initial thoughts were heads and cam. After thinking long and hard, and spending too much money for something I really just am "settling" for - I changed directions a little and have been wanting to do this since I bought this car 5 years ago...just never had the b@lls to do it.

Now, I would like to freshen the motor a little bit - new Forged pistons, possibly crank and rods (if needed), and completely new top end (heads, cam, intake along with an XB-1A upgrade from the BD). My thoughts are that a stock bottom end will not last too long with H/C/I and 11lbs of boost - so that's why I decided to pull it and freshen it up a bit with some forged internals.

The combo I'm looking at is the TFS H/C/I, 70 or 75TB, with new forged/dished pistons and a bump to 306. Along with the 11lbs of XB1-A - I'm thinking this should put me around 450RWHP?

Let me know what you guys think about the combo and your input on it is appreciated.

link at summit for TFS HCI:

http://store.summitracing.com/defau...mmitpart&searchtype=both&part=tfs-k514-36-350

Re use the stock crank and rods. Get new pistons and a main cap girdle. Deck the block and do a line hone to the mains with the girdle in place. Have the entire rotating assembly balenced and check all clearences. Get head studs and ARP moly lube for correct torque specs. Do not over torque you will warp the block.

Find a good machine shop to do the work.

how exactly is a "line hone" done??

I'm doing pretty much the same thing....started as just a head/cam swap but I ended up pulling the motor. Now while it's out on the stand I'm also doing a main support, windage tray, 7qt pan, SFI balancer, timing chain, steel bellhousing, longtube headers, and a ported lower intake. My motor has 54,xxx