Got a TSB # for TR3650 Grind!!!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

houstangman2003 said:
How long of a repair is this usually? Im guessing I should also remove my tri-ax shifter before I take it in also.... Also i was wondering about the throwout bearing, and if that is covered under warranty

The TSB states the repair should take 5.6 hours to complete. I'm concerned about the repair departments ability to put the transmission back together perfectly. Fortunetly I only put on about 1000 miles a month, so I'm going to wait till the shop personnel get some more experience.

BlkNShiny03 said:
The TSB states the repair should take 5.6 hours to complete. I'm concerned about the repair departments ability to put the transmission back together perfectly. Fortunetly I only put on about 1000 miles a month, so I'm going to wait till the shop personnel get some more experience.

It really only takes a few transmissions to get it down pat.

I've rebuilt two T-5 transmissions myself. The first one i spaced out so i could learn the process and how it went together, the 2nd one i had done in three hours from when i cracked open the tranny to when i finished sealing it up. That one i had to replace the 2nd gear and the 1-2 synchro but i had everything apart anyway and could have replaced every component if i wanted. This style of manual transmission is really not that hard to rebuild. When you get it apart, you see that the majority of the peices only fit in one way.

The T-3650 is a little more complex than a T-5 so it might take a tad longer. I'd imagine removing it from the car would take some time as the driveshaft and exhaust need to be dropped. I'd prob figure a few more peices as well.

I understand the concern about waiting til a few cars get it performed on it. I agree 100%. Seeing as i have an '03, i can afford to "sit on this" for a while since i still have a lot of my warranty left. I fully intend to wait til i hear back from a few people who had it done and then maybe see if anyone had it done locally and what dealerships are the best. I already have a lead on a local dealership which has an in-house transmission shop that specializes in rebuilding transmissions.

Called Ford today and gave them the TSB number, at first they couldn't find it and put me on hold. The service manager came back and asked me if my tranny was jumping out of gear (which meant he found something on the PC). I informed him that it was just notchy or raspy as Ford calls it from 1-2 and 2-3. Put me back on hold and came back within a minute to inform me that he ordered the kit and should have it within a week.

My catch is this. My 03 now has 41,200 miles on it. But the car has been in a number of times due to this BS (well documented) and they even swapped the tranny back in Jan 04, but it didn't have the upgraded parts so it was still "raspy".

So I just hope that they honor this or that the Magnuson Moss Act will do the trick.

BTW..for those getting the fix, might as well pay Ford to change the clutch since the tranny is out and if you have alot of miles on it.

NasaGT said:
Thanks for posting those twogts4us!!!

I've experienced the jump-out from 2nd several times in cold weather. I can't decide if I want to take it in and let them potentially screw it up. :shrug:

that was exactly what first ran through my head.. I cant tell if the notchy shifting in cold weather is worth them potentially messing up my tranny.

I too am worried about the ability of ford to fix my tranny and not make it worse. Ive had 2 headlights replaced for fogging and BOTH times they turned the rubber seal under where it meets the fender.They couldnt even do that right the first time... TWICE. Looked like crap and acted like I was an A## Hole when I pointed it out. Broke down the middle of my back seat by kneeling in it while working on my convertable top, And told me I needed to replace(@ $2200.00) my AODE in a 94 Cougar which I ended up getting fixed at an Independent tranny shop for $460.00. What a choice. There is an SVT Dealer about 30 Miles away I think Im gonna take it to this time..Hopefully their service department will be better. BILL ESTES FORD in Brownsburg Indiana has never really done anything right the first time. Probably couldnt fix TOAST without burning it.

here is my question: I had mine in last october because the 3'rd gear synchros went out and it was grinding all to hell and back every time I shifted into 3rd. It has started grinding just a little bit occasionally from 1-2 and 2-3 again. The car now has 43000 miles on it. Should they fix it again now that there is a TSB and the 3rd gear synchros were fixed under warrenty less than a year ago?

I am planning on waiting until fall or spring. I have an 03 with 9K miles do I am well below warentee. 1) I want to make sure I see people corect this without creating new problems and 2) if there are problems, I do not want it to take all summer to correct. Granted my car is not bad at all. I experienced the problem 1/2 dozen times in over 1 year...

Well I prinited out the TSB and took it and my car to the local Ford Store. They had a technician ride with me in order to verify the problem...it occured as I pulled out of the lot. He was already aware of the problem and mine is scheduled to be repaired in a couple of weeks. (I need it between now and then.) They gave me no problems are they were confident in getting it fixed within a day or two after I drop it off. I had been wondering about the crunching in those gears and now I know. Thanks for putting us in the know dude!

tranny

I had the 2nd - 3rd grind, took it to my dealer, they tried to fix it, had the tranny out and apart 3 times. It was worse each time they put it back together. Had my car for 26 days! They finally put in a brand new tranny shipped directly from the line at Tremec. I be happy now. Check out mt mods, they never said a word about them!

cronin49 said:
I had the 2nd - 3rd grind, took it to my dealer, they tried to fix it, had the tranny out and apart 3 times. It was worse each time they put it back together. Had my car for 26 days! They finally put in a brand new tranny shipped directly from the line at Tremec. I be happy now. Check out mt mods, they never said a word about them!

Mine was in twice for the 1-2 BS. Anyway last Jan they swapped a new 3650 in, but it still had the faulted parts. So Ford just ordered the kit for me.

Just curious Cronin49...I'm in New Jersey also, what dealer did you go to?

I am taking my tranny out soon to do my clutch , car is going to be down for a couple weeks getting a crap load of goodies bolted on it , so I am going to take my dealer the tranny and tell them to do the fix on it and I will pick it up when they are done and put it back in myself ......

My 03 grinds/clunks from 1-2 and sometimes 2-3. It's more pronounced in the winter than in the summer. Will the technicians give me crap about "not being able to reproduce the problem" and not fix it?

quick warranty question... I bought the 5 yr/70,000mile warranty from Ford when I bought my car. I just want to make sure that this isnt an aftermarket warranty and will cover "bumper to bumper" exactly like my standard 3yr, 36000 mile warranty will.

if thats the case, I may wait until this fall to ensure that they've had some practice, and that it doesnt cause any more problems.