Progress Thread Got Another One! Pics

I have those brake spring pliers, they suck.

When I do drum brakes at the shop, I use these instead:

Amazon product ASIN B0000BYD9AView: https://www.amazon.com/VISE-GRIP-Original-Locking-Pliers-1602L3/dp/B0000BYD9A/ref=sr_1_2?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt8vunvmI5QIVg4bACh0nCQMdEAAYASAAEgIh-PD_BwE&hvadid=153684532075&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1026831&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=1648147317208948827&hvtargid=kwd-3209933608&hydadcr=1638_9515723&keywords=vise+grip+needle+nose&qid=1570410068&sr=8-2

Those springs aren't going anywhere you don't want them to when you've got them locked down in a pair of those. Throw in either a brake adjusting spoon (I just use the cheap one from Harbor Freight) or a strong flat-blade screwdriver and you're good to go.
Looks like the pic didn't come through. I'd like to see what you use.

• Sponsors (?)

Looks like the pic didn't come through. I'd like to see what you use.
Posted an Amazon link.
Screenshot_2019-10-06-20-46-39~2.png

Reactions: 1 user
Update: Gearbox is in need of rebuild or replace (depending on overall cost.

While the gearbox is out of the car I'll be replacing several other components, one of which is the flywheel. I'm trying to decide if I should go stock iron (22lbs) or SVE Billet steel (17lbs). The cost difference is substantial at $240ish vs $70ish. This car will be a DD or weekend cruizer. It will never see the dragstrip and I don't beat on it, but I do have some fun with it.

My question is: Does the 5lb rotating weight difference justify the cost in my scenario?

I have no supporting reason to go with my recommendation,but I think you would be just fine with a stock replacement flywheel and a better than stock clutch
Thank you for the input. I did some more research and for my car (i.e., stock with minor bolt ons), I came to the same conclusion. I'll do a stock, new, flywheel, and a King Cobra clutch kit.

My vision for the car is a DD or cruiser with full exhaust, performance tricks I've learned along the way, smooth driveline, clean looks, and everything functioning.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 2 users
Looks great man! Agree 100% on the OE triple lights set up. Looks much better than the smoked ones (or any others) in my opinion.
Thank you! Hard to tell in the pics, but they are actually ultra-clear headlights. The side markers are clear so I went amber LEDs in them and, they...look...awesome! I think I'm going full LED. They look so much cleaner and are brighter. I kinda like the old school with a touch of new tech -if done right.

Absolutely agree man! Very cool touch with the LEDs and the cleats. What a huge facelift for the front end. Good stuff! Looking great.
I'll take a pic when I get all the LEDs in place. This Monday is T5 R&R, clutch kit, flywheel, maybe an aluminum DS, new cable, R&R relatedES bushings and mounts, pilot bearing, and rear main just because. Hopefully some pics happening, too.

Reactions: 1 user
UPDATE: (Sorry no pics) Got the car back from the T5 R&R. I found a place that is honest, does great work, and is very affordable (Palmetto Pony Sales in SC). They made me an offer to R&R the gearbox that was a no brainer rather than me pull it on my back.

The car got a rebuilt T5 w/6 month warranty, rear main seal, pilot bearing, clutch fork cover, resurface flywheel, cross-member bushings, T5 oil, H pipe, exhaust flow tubes, and factory air box assy. My clutch kit had recently been replaced by previous owner. It shifts like brand new. They performed the T5 R&R for $200 including taping stripped bolts! You can't beat that price with a stick!

Interestingly, and as I had hoped, the 5th gear ratio in the gearbox is much better than the unit I had. The one I had seemed to have about a .75 5th gear, which was bad for the highway. This one seems to have the more ubiquitous .68 or .63 (not sure which). That is way better for the highway. I highly recommend these guys if you're in the area.

Reactions: 4 users
I replaced my rear drum brakes in the spring with the upgraded shoes MM sells.
After screwing around with all the springs , clips , lining everything up etc. I've decided
to switch to rear disc...lol.

• Happy
Reactions: 1 users
UPDATE: Bright RED

My brake lights were pathetically dim. The before was shot in the daytime, but you should still be able to see the brake lights. However, mine were dangerously dim. The after is at night, but has LEDs and wow, they are bright.

Before = 1 candle power.
Before Rear LED.jpg

After = UNLIMITED POWER
After Rear LED.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Reactions: 2 users
UPDATE: Bright RED

My brake lights were pathetically dim. The before was shot in the daytime, but you should still be able to see the brake lights. However, mine were dangerously dim. The after is at night, but has LEDs and wow, they are bright.

Before = 1 candle power.
Before Rear LED.jpg

After = UNLIMITED POWER
After Rear LED.jpg
I see you’re in SC. Where about? I’m in NY but spent a lot of time down there. Grandparents lived there for several years.
LED’s look great by the way.