Got into a small crash last night....

SjStang00

Feb 20, 2008
Florida
It was horrible conditions, wet and slippery as hell. lost control, did a 180 degree spin, hopped the curb and hit a tree. I put on my spare but it seems to be wobbling back and forth. I know its not the spare itself b/c i put it on as tight as i could. Im pretty sure its the axle and whenever I drive it a clanking and clunking noise comes from somewhere behond the tire but i cant really tell what it is....
If anyone can help me out with some info it would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

i live in Coral Springs and all day yesterday it was as if a hurricane was outside....Im thinkin its the axle too, but im scared to drive it to advanced or to a pepboys to get an estimate done b/c it feel like somethings about to break off.

If your axle is bent...advanced or pep boys would be the last place i would take my car for that type of service.

Go to a real mechanic..or a dealer

If you can do the work yourself, you could prob do it for cheap. Score a used 99-04 axle for cheap and swap it in 2 hours. Whoever you go to for an estimate is gonna price a brand new Ford axle...which can be several hundred bucks. At that price, buy some aftermarket 28 splines from summit at least and have it shipped quickly or see if oyu can pick up a used axle for $50 or so.

how much would an axle be if i went to a local mechanic? wouldnt he try to sell me a typical ford axle or something different? i have a local junkyard i might be able to find an axle at, but im not sure if they would have any. or would it be worth it to buy the axle's they show on americanmuscle for 270?

Call up a Ford dealer and price an axle. Then add 10% to that number and that's what a mechanic would charge you.

For the same price, you could prob buy Strange or Moser 28 spline axle and at least get an upgrade.

If you are mechanically inclined i'd at least pull the wheel off and take a peek...or snap some pics and post them.

I called ford and found out that the parts department isnt going to be opened until tuesday. i cant take any pics right now i have work soon, but as soon as i get the chance ill pull off the wheel and snap some pics. thanks for the help guys, appreciate it.