Got my headers finally.

Ordered the Flowtechs from Summit. Painted them w/ some hi-temp paint and stuck them on...driver side slid up w/o much problem...did what you guys said and just barely ran the bolt in. Now...passenger side...oh boy...it took about an hour to get it right lifting the car, lifting the engine, taking stuff apart in the engine bay, etc etc. Finally got it on...so far i've just been spending the day runnin' around town w/ open headers which makes me smile and also seems to make alot of other ppl around here grin...even had some chicks gimme the 'sup, baby'-knod/wink goin through walmart to get some stuff. I hope the packs dont quiet it down much...I'm goin in the mornin to get the rest of the exhaust ran.

• Sponsors (?)

I would have thought the drivers side is harder to fit. I think it will be on mine as I have both power steering and manual trans to contend with. Glad you got yours done. What size exhaust will you be running to the rear?

skywalker said:
That amazes me that your passenger side was so difficult. My passenger side took me 5 minutes! My driver's side was what took me the rest of the hour!

Well a '68 has noticably more engine bay clearance than a '66. You can fit an FE bigblock under your hood, I can barely fit a 351W. I wish ford had made the early cars w/o shocktowers like restomods nowadays.

I'm not surprised to hear about your passenger side woo's. I had the same issue. The driver's side went in in a snap, the passenger side had to be persuaded with a 3ft pry bar. Now that I know the trick to the pass. side I can do it nearly as fast. Those dang shock towers! You'll like the flowtechs. Depending on your engine, you might consider 2 1/4" pipe though. I know a 1/4" doesn't sound like much, but if you let too much air out at a time, you'll be loosing performance.

The Dan said:
I'm not surprised to hear about your passenger side woo's. I had the same issue. The driver's side went in in a snap, the passenger side had to be persuaded with a 3ft pry bar. Now that I know the trick to the pass. side I can do it nearly as fast. Those dang shock towers! You'll like the flowtechs. Depending on your engine, you might consider 2 1/4" pipe though. I know a 1/4" doesn't sound like much, but if you let too much air out at a time, you'll be loosing performance.

Well one reason on the pipe is I plan on dropping in a more potent, 300 or so rwhp smallblock in the near future that could benefit more from the 2.5"

noticed you mentioned you painted them with hi-temp paint did u have to clean the headers with any kinda prep solvent and scuff up the tubes or just paint it on as is? just curious

RajunCajun said:
noticed you mentioned you painted them with hi-temp paint did u have to clean the headers with any kinda prep solvent and scuff up the tubes or just paint it on as is? just curious

There is already some sort of cheap paint on them that just peeled off after that got hot (I got black ones.) So maybe that will answer that a little bit?

RajunCajun said:

When painting it's practically always a good rule of thumb to sand down to bare metal and have a good mating surface. Now when I have some spare money to blow I'll pull them off and have them sent to jet hot...but for now the hi-temp paint should work.