Got my SLP line lock installed!

Propeller, i have the same kit waiting in my trunk. was woundering:

- bleeding the brake system went like describe in the instruction from SLP or you had to do the master also?
- Did you custom made 2 wrench to reach the connections from underneath the master cyl.?

Thx

• Sponsors (?)

propellerhead said:
Activating the line lock basically pinches the front brake lines (sort of). You step on the brakes and all four wheels get braking pressure. Hit the switch to activate the line lock, then take your foot off the brake pedal. The rear brakes will be released but the front brakes will still be on. Then you do your burnout.

If you are driving and hit the switch, you'll still be able to apply braking pressure to *all* four wheels. The only thing different is when you take your foot off the pedal, the front wheels will still be braking and the rear wheels won't.

Are you sure? I thought it completly blocked the fluid when activated, and if you hit the breaks with it on, it wont allow the fluid to reach. Or is it just a 1 way valve type thing when activated?

speed545 said:
Propeller, i have the same kit waiting in my trunk. was woundering:

- bleeding the brake system went like describe in the instruction from SLP or you had to do the master also?
- Did you custom made 2 wrench to reach the connections from underneath the master cyl.?

Thx
We bled the front brakes the regular way. The the SLP kit instructions just said "Before driving the vehicle, bleed the master cylinder and brake lines." We just did the front brakes lines since we didn't break into the rear brake lines at all. If we had more time, we were going to bleed the rear lines too just. But we ran out of time.

My buddy already had the two wrenches cut since he installed one of these on another friend's car before mine. If you don't want to cut your nice tools, get some cheap ones to cut just for this task. They'll do fine.

hotmustang331 said:
Are you sure? I thought it completly blocked the fluid when activated, and if you hit the breaks with it on, it wont allow the fluid to reach. Or is it just a 1 way valve type thing when activated?
I'm positive. I've flipped the switch on and off going 60 mph on the freeway. Nothing happens. I activated the line lock in a parking lot while I was going about 25. Nothing happens. When I step on the brakes, it slows down (like normal) but when I lift my foot off the pedal, the front brakes are still engaged.

This contradicts what the SLP Tech Support guy told me on the phone earlier, and what I posted way back when. The guy told me it essentially shuts off the line so no pressure can be applied or removed. FALSE. :mad: Pressure can be added but not removed. It acts as a one-way valve.

Sweet, so if you dont press them hard enough in the beginning and it starts rolling, just press on them durring the burnout to stop then let off and it will hold. Good to know, thanks.

Shows how much the darn techs know :rlaugh: . Thats probably where I heard it, through the grape vine from the no knowledge "techs". :nonono:

Ill look like a champ at the track next time out...I was going all sideways and crap. But it must have looked fast because after a few runs, the guy that runs the lights actually stepped out and lined me up in the groove :D. Although it didnt help, I felt pretty good HAHA. But sortof shamed due to no line lock :nonono:

hotmustang331 said:
Sweet, so if you dont press them hard enough in the beginning and it starts rolling, just press on them durring the burnout to stop then let off and it will hold. Good to know, thanks.
If you just half-ass step on the brakes while the line lock is activated, then release the pedal, the front brakes will be half-applied. Do your burn out and spin the rear tires. The car will creep forward, which means you'll have control of your steering as the back tires spin. Get my drift? ;)

Installed the same kit in my car about half a year ago. The instructions from SLP were horrid. There were pages missing left and right. Thankfully they had everything online as well, so I just printed those out. Had some trouble with leaking on mine where it goes into the M.C. but some tephlon tape and patients finally prevailed!!!

The end result is so worth it :D

Here is where I mounted mine...

mgwwithlinelock.jpg

And of course a few burnout pics!

View attachment 485202

View attachment 485204

Attachments

• mgwwithlinelock.jpg
    mgwwithlinelock.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 101
good stuff, I'm getting one of these next month.. trying to decide where I wanna mount.. don't really wanna put it in the coin holder. I like your idea hotmustang331, but since my traction control button will never be used again I'm debating on trying to see if I could unhook it and put it there. Hmmmmmm, can you do that or will it freak something out? (traction control is turned off through the pcm)

Here's what the keylock switch looks like now. I added a black fibre washer for looks. It's a little better. More OEM-like.

I also have the keylock switch wired in now. I soldered two 2-foot wires to the keylock switch and added male and female spade connectors. That way, it plugs right into the SLP switch without cutting anything I can remove the key and stick it in my pocket for safety.

cimg36794cw.th.jpg cimg36807bp.th.jpg

Attachments

• cimg36794cw.th.jpg
    cimg36794cw.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 81
  • cimg36807bp.th.jpg
    cimg36807bp.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 86
propellerhead said:
I'm positive. I've flipped the switch on and off going 60 mph on the freeway. Nothing happens. I activated the line lock in a parking lot while I was going about 25. Nothing happens. When I step on the brakes, it slows down (like normal) but when I lift my foot off the pedal, the front brakes are still engaged.

This contradicts what the SLP Tech Support guy told me on the phone earlier, and what I posted way back when. The guy told me it essentially shuts off the line so no pressure can be applied or removed. FALSE. :mad: Pressure can be added but not removed. It acts as a one-way valve.

Did you choose to install a second, keyed switch as a safety precaution, based on incorrect information, or on concerns about what the car would do if the line lock were accidently activated at speed? I think your second keyed switch idea is great, especially if others drive your car. But do you think it is really necessary, if the line lock switch were mounted in an out-of-the-way (perhaps hidden) location?

:shrug:

Mainly as a safety precaution.

With the false information I got from SLP before I bought it, the simple toggle switch worried me. The SLP rep told me the front brake line would be shut off when the solenoid is active. If the brakes were applied, they would stay applied. If they were not applied, you cannot apply them. But after learning that the solenoid acts as a one-way valve, I still wanted the extra margin of safety. I work in the aerospace industry where we take safety to a higher level. You don't only consider normal cases, but unusual cases too. Though I am the only person in my car for about 99% of the time, I have friends and family with me on occasion. If someone accidentally hit the switch and there is no visual or audible cue, I could get into a sticky situation.

Picture yourself making a left turn at a large 6-lane intersection. It's rush hour. The flow of traffic is jerky. There's a little bit of traffic ahead of you so you have to apply a little brakes while you're still halfway through the turn. You then continue to make your turn but your front brakes are now dragging. You're thinking "What the hell is going on?" Cars are coming up behind you. There's a cop car sitting at the gas station at the corner. You don't want to get honked at so you drop your cell phone in your lap and give the throttle pedal a little more gas. With a little bit of sand or gravel on the road, and your half-bald tires, and your front brakes partially applied, you end up doing half burn out into a 180* donut and you're now facing the wrong way, in the middle of a turn in a large intersection. Now the light turns green and a whole sea of cars start coming towards you with their horns blaring. Not catastrophic but possibly dangerous. Like I said, the brakes will still work but the front ones will just stay applied.

I could hide the switch under the dash, or install it on the left side near the head light switch to make sure no one accidentally bumps it. I could also use a momentary switch. But the added benefit of the keylock switch is I can guarantee no one will do stoopid stuff in my car when I have the line lock key in my pocket. That includes a spouse, girlfriend, teenage children, valet parking punks, porters at the Ford dealer, etc. If you have a track only car, then it doesn't matter as much. Mine is a daily driven car that goes to the track on some weekends.

propellerhead said:
Here's what the keylock switch looks like now. I added a black fibre washer for looks. It's a little better. More OEM-like.

I also have the keylock switch wired in now. I soldered two 2-foot wires to the keylock switch and added male and female spade connectors. That way, it plugs right into the SLP switch without cutting anything I can remove the key and stick it in my pocket for safety.

cimg36794cw.th.jpg cimg36807bp.th.jpg

Looks great!! Where did you get all the necessary parts for the keylock?

With the SLP switch do you have to hold the switch or do you just flip it to one side and it keeps anymore brake fluid from goign to the front and when you're done you just flip it back?

Attachments

• cimg36794cw.th.jpg
    cimg36794cw.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 83
  • cimg36807bp.th.jpg
    cimg36807bp.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 79
csledd said:
Looks great!! Where did you get all the necessary parts for the keylock?

With the SLP switch do you have to hold the switch or do you just flip it to one side and it keeps anymore brake fluid from goign to the front and when you're done you just flip it back?

The keylock switch was from BG Micro. Search www.bgmicro.com for item SWT1083.

You don't have to hold the SLP toggle switch the whole time.

I got the SLP Line Lock kit from MustangTuning.

I have the same set up, installed by the same buddy with the toggle in the coinholder (my idea originally :D ). I love the line lock and wish I had it last year. Burnouts are much easier (on the street and track ;) ) and saves wear and tear to the rear end and brakes..

Good write up Prop!