GOT MY T3 TODAY !! Bunch of questions and pics

CruzNlife1

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2002
West Palm Beach
Okay, here goes....

Was browsing the yard today and came across three lovely 5 cylinder mercedes benz, turbo diesel, cars.... Went looking, still no T3 from a Gas car.... Heres where it gets interesting. I spin all three turbos by hand, all have a little play, one turbo (IN A VERY NICE, REARENDED MERCEDES) HAD NO PLAY WHATSOEVER, AT ALL, NADA... Spun like brand new....

All three turbos were EXACTLY THE SAME except for just 1 thins.... 2 of the turbos said "Garrett T3" Right on the compressor housing, the one that was in the best shape, had just an "A" On the housing... So I lay down my 40 dollars to the attendent and was on my way... No clue here, pulled it and got it home, housing was pretty rusty, BUT ALL THE FASTENERS WERE BRAND NEW, this baby spun PERFECT, and smooth, blades were fairly clean for a diesel, and it turns out, I guess this turbo was recently rebuilt.. Now right on it, it says .48 A/R I know this is the smaller of the T3's but Will it spool faster than the bigger T3 ?? That's the reason I wanted an IHI for quick spool, but will this turbo spool comparably to an IHI ?? Can I bolt a standard T3 elbow onto this ??
This turbo fits perfectly on my old E6 manifold as well. Best of all, IT IS OIL COOLED ONLY !! NO WATER LINES TO F* WITH.... The oil passages inside were spotless with traces of some fairly golden oil still in it (Driver did routine Changes I guess).. I want to efficiantly run 18-20 intercooled PSI all day long, will I be able to do it with this turbo. And about when will this spool, (Ported head, 3" downpipe and exhaust, gutted upper, K&N Cone on BIG VAM, LA3 and Volvo intercooler) What is the turbo capable of maxed (PSI And General Horsepower)

Here are some pictures of it compared to my IHI I was gonna use... Obviously the smaller in all the pics is the IHI....

DCP12469.JPG

DCP12473.JPG

DCP12472.JPG

DCP12470.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

Yep, just unbolt the compressor housing and exhaust housings, swap them out with standard ford T3 units and you'll be set. I don't know if the ford elbow will bolt onto that exhaust housing because you didn't take any pics of it from the rear.

That is a different exhaust side too...I'd like a better look at that.

Stinger

But I can still use these housings, correct ?? Will this spool faster than the bigger turbo ?? I'm want quickest spool possible for driveability and my bigger tires, but wanted something better than the IHI... I'm hoping this will be a happy medium, but if much more gain is to be had, I guess I can get my hands on some ford T3 housings.... Is the ford exhaust housing bigger or smaller than this one.... I'm going to be VERY tight on space and can't go much bigger, the IHI fills up most of the space.... Here is the 2.3 with a T3 in a ranger using the header I'm going to be using (Only way to fit it into a ranger without other modifications.. It's a bob's log, but styled like an E6 flipped over...

fa5c0179.jpg

I don't know about that exhaust housing. It doesn't look like it's wastegated to me. I mean I see what looks like an actuator but there is no place for the exhaust to escape from that plated area. I think you need a ford exhaust housing. A .48 will actually be a bit smaller than the one you have.

It won't spool as fast as an IHI but it will spool quick enough if you have 3" exhaust and a cone filter.

Why didn't you paint the head?

Stinger

On that turbo I dont' know how it works, but it definitly has a wastegate, I applied 15 pounds of air to that hose, and heard it open, when I pulled the air away i can hear it snap shut.... After 3 cracked turbo heads in a row, I gave up.....

Yes It's an N/A Head, off of a wrecked 90 mustang.... I had it fluxed etc. It's a Crack Free d-port... I reshaped the combustion chambers (I really should have took some pictures, but with all the extra metal in there, I took out the ridge between the valves and smoothed it all down really nice, and Left a little extra in there, And I unshrouded the HELL out of valves.. Wasnt worried about losing compression from taking out some metal because I left a little bit in the middle, than I got out a rotary file and look it smooth, than a flapwheel to almost a polish.... Ported the head pretty good (just cleaned up the exhaust) Took out some of the bowl around the intake guide, just a little, smoothed the transitions, removed the bumps, and just make it nice and cleaned up..... the head was milled slightly to make it perfectly flat, and I used a stock replacement fel-pro gasket.... Don't ask why I didnt paint it lol... It's a story that I'm not getting into right now....

Than the valve cover I had a nice "Fuel Injected" Turbo cover, etc... Put it on, and forgot about my short upper intake, so I just grabbed the n/a cover with the dip in it, painted it and put it on there.. That cork gasket was a pain in my ass...

Here's the other two really quick....
You can see the rest of everything.... The rail was dirty in these pics and that's the old regulator on there... You can see my autometer oil pressure sending unit.... Oh and that oil cap don't even look at it, I've got a nice billet cap to put on there.. I'm doing braided lines for the oil feed and return and I've got the braided sleeves that go over the rad. hoses and heater hoses (just for looks) and a couple other nice billet and chrome dress up peices to go on there before I drop it in. Should look sweet....
DCP12474.JPG

DCP12476.JPG

Heres the big list to date....
Block: Dipped, honed, milled, New brass freeze plugs, new aux. shaft bearings, all holes retapped, cleaned again in soapy water, primerd, painted, new oil pump, cleaned out pickup, fel-pro rubber oil pan gasket, fel-pro front main seal kit, new water pump, rebuilt distributor (New TFI, New Pickup Coil, Dist. Painted, new cap and rotor), New dizzy o-ring....

Head: Fluxed, ported, polished, head surface shaved, new cam bearings, new cam seal, Valves ground, Lapped by me, head assembled by me, ranger roller cam, autometer oil pressure sender and guage, new timing belt, cleaned and flowmatched browntop injectors with new O-Rings....

Intakes: Lower ported, partially knife edged, sent a dingleberry hone down runners (Opened and polished them) cleaned, primered, painted..... Upper intake gutted, cleaned up a bit, primered, painted, new sensors.... Throttle body cleaned, polished, new throttle position sensor.....

Computer: LA3 and Big VAM
Mercedes T3 Turbo w/braided lines, with bob's log header, and gillis valve
Full Autometer instrumentation
Motocraft wires and plugs

The truck now has an 8.8 Explorer rearend with disc brakes and a 4.10 limited slip....
Will have a mustang T5, hydraulic clutch, ram clutch, racer walsh disc....

Stinger: I think I found out how that wastegate works.... Looking through the exhaust inlet there are two runners as usual one goes to the wastegate where that plate is over it... but there is a hole on the exit side of the exhaust housing where it dumps the exhaust on the other side of the turbine... Confirmed my theory, blew some air in there than opened the gate air flowed, pulled air away, gate snapped shut, no more flow....I would like to use it just the way it is actually simply due to cost.... I'm hoping that it should be fine....Is this exhaust housing bigger or smaller than the ford version ??