GOT THE CAR DONE AT APRIL 3, 2006 11:50PM!!!!!!!!

69Rcode_Mach1

Apr 20, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
I FINALLY GOT MY CAR STARTED AGAIN AND SHE TOOK HER FIRST STEPS!!!!!! I ACTUALLY GOT TO WHEEL HER INTO THE GARAGE WITH THE 5-SPEED, AND I HAVE ALL MY VACUUM HOSES HOOKED UP PROPERLY THIS TIME TOO!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYTHING IS GOING GREAT AND NOW I NEED TO DO SOME TUNING BEFORE I TAKE HER FOR THE BREAK IN WHICH I HOPE WILL BE FRIDAY NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! I MET MY FIRST TIME FRAME I HAVE EVER SET, I WANTED IT DONE BY MY BIRTHDAY AND I GOT IT DONE 10 MINUTES BEFORE IT WAS OVER!!!! I FEEL GREAT!!!!! AND THE BEST PART I NOW HAVE 60PSI OIL PRESSURE AT IDLE!!!!!!

But anyway I got it done with the roller cam and all, now we need to get her running right so we can feel the power gains from all this work of over 1 1/2 years. I couldn't get the car to idle so I had to rest my foot on the gas, it was not getting enough gas. I didn't want to mess with the idle speed screws because I had them set so that .020" of the transfer slot is showing. I need to figure out how to work the idle-eze. First thing I am doing is making a call to Barry Grant tomorrow to see what they say. I don't want to flood the thing, which is why I only ran it for like 30 seconds. Would have spent more time on it and taken it for a drive but I lost the damned vacuum hose that goes into the distributor so it was a no go till I get that. Oh well things are going so well, nothing can get me down!!!!:D

• Sponsors (?)

KK I had the open vacuum ports plugged.

I talked with Barry Grant today. They said that I need to have the transfer slot set at .020" which I have, and the mixture screws one and a half turns out along with the idle eze which I did. So they said I was running the timing too low, it needs to be a minimum of 18 degrees. I don't have a timing light right now but I advanced it to the point where the car wouldn't start anymore and I still had to rest my foot on my gas pedal to keep it running. Which in turn made it rich. I am so confused anyone with experience on a Mighty Demon.

69Rcode_Mach1 said:
KK I had the open vacuum ports plugged.

I talked with Barry Grant today. They said that I need to have the transfer slot set at .020" which I have, and the mixture screws one and a half turns out along with the idle eze which I did. So they said I was running the timing too low, it needs to be a minimum of 18 degrees. I don't have a timing light right now but I advanced it to the point where the car wouldn't start anymore and I still had to rest my foot on my gas pedal to keep it running. Which in turn made it rich. I am so confused anyone with experience on a Mighty Demon.

Don't know if this is the problem, but there are lots of reports of metal shavings left inside of BG carbs.

18 degrees minimum timing? That sounds a tad excessive (without knowing your combination.) Once you can get your car to turn over, you've gone too far.

How are you spark plugs? You may need to clean them. I found that mine would quickly fouled out until I got the carb set up properly.

Are you adjusting the mixture screws after initially starting at a turn and a half? I would try turning them in evenly about a 1/4 turn at a time to see if idle improves--you must get idle below 1000 in order to for the idle circuits to function.

I have messed with the idle mixture screws and it hasn't done anything. I have cleaned and checked over the carb. 18 doesn't sound that bad, small block fords tend to like a lot of timing. I am hoping to shoot for 18-24 initial. The plugs have been cleaned up brand new, and I am not running it till I can figure out how to do it properly, or else I will foul them up, and end up with gas in my oil like last time I dropped in the engine.

Depending on your cam, you might not have enough air at idle. Crank in the idle screw but count the turns so you can back to where you are if you had to. If after timing and idle mixture fiddling you can't get it where you want it, you probably have to drill the throttle plates with an 1/8th" bit to let in some more air.