Granada gearbox in MII?

SwedeStang

Jan 23, 2004
I'm the proud owner of a 74 Mach 1 in Sweden, Europe. MII parts are scarce so I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to use the "modern" 5speed gearbox from the 2.8L Granada in the MII. Any other tips on alternative donorcars are welcome!

• Sponsors (?)

Your Mach 1 has the 2.8L, right? If so, I think that the answer is yes. You may need to use the Granada bellhousing, and you may need to change the location of the shifter forwards or rearwards a bit and you may need to have your drive shaft modified, but most machine shops should be able to handle that.

For the 2.3L 4 cylinder, your best bet would be a (Ford) T-5 as it bolts right to the 2.3L bellhousing. The shifter will be about 2 inches farther forward though. The version of the XR4Ti that we got here in the States was only available with a 2.3L Turbo EFI engine and a 5-speed other than the T-5, but it had a smaller torque capacity, so most XR4Ti guys here swap for the T-5.

Good luck, and keep us informed on your project.

78CobraII

78CobraII said:
The version of the XR4Ti that we got here in the States was only available with a 2.3L Turbo EFI engine and a 5-speed other than the T-5, but it had a smaller torque capacity, so most XR4Ti guys here swap for the T-5.
78CobraII

Yep, they use a T9, pretty bad :).

Yeah, steal that bellhousing and such and slap that 5spd behind it, a little fab work but what the hey :)

Hmm I suppose the XR4trannie might be the standard from Sierra/Scorpio. Don't think it's called T-9 though. At least not around here. At least from 89 it's called MT75. Anyway, about chopping the driveshaft. Are there any splines left or will they have to be remade?