greasing energy suspension parts...

MercRS

Jan 15, 2003
Chicago,IL
my 85 Capri got some new polyurethane bushings with my new control
arms they have grease fittings my friend says you can only use full synthetic
grease or they will be ruined.Is this true about the grease?

• Sponsors (?)

If the grease broke down the bushing, I'm not sure i would want them in my car!

I should've been a bit more clear. Maybe the synthetic grease they use is more like a silicone kind of grease, which is safer for rubber than, say, a petroleum-based grease which tends to degrade bushings.

For example, the stock sway bar bushing on the driver's side of my '84 is almost TOTALLY gone because the power steering pump was leaking fluid onto it for ages, and I'm sure people have a tendency to get oil on it from whenever they remove the oil filter nearby during fluid changes; the passenger-side sway bar bushing, however, is perfectly fine. Given, those are rubber bushings and they're more vulnerable to petroleum-based oils and greases than poly bushings, but still.

I dunno. Just a theory I was throwing out there. Or maybe they just recommend the synthetic grease because it lasts longer...? :shrug:

I don't know. All I meant was, if I have a bushing that was greasable, I'd make sure that it could take any grease that could be put in. Like say I drop the car off to get oil changed. The mech says he greased all my suspension parts for me since it was off the ground... I'd rather say thanks, than start to **** bricks because he greased em with something else.

Synthetic I can only see as not breaking down as quickly as others. (Same as oil I guess)

Urethane grease is whats recommended for installation. Thats what I would keep it up with.