Grinding and rubbing sounds; need some brake help

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
Arkansas
Okay guys, I got a couple questions.

A. A few months ago I noticed, when I turned the car even semi-sharp, there is a rubbing noise, like "woo...woo...woo...woo" as the wheels turn around the corner.

B. At very low speeds (1-5 MPH), I hear grinding in the back without the brakes being applied.

I am looking at selling the ride soon and want to take care of these problems but without replacing everything, but enough to fix it.

I am not a brake guru, but I do know the basics.

Thank you for any assistance. :)

• Sponsors (?)

Pull the wheels and look it all over. Take the calipers off and inspect the pads, and rotors. Also, makes sure the slide pins are free, and move in and out. Hopefully you find a bad set of bads, and not a bad caliper, but rebuilds a cheap nowadays.

Looking and checking to see what's wrong is gonna be your best bet to answering your problems...

x2

mine made a similar sound. It started off sounding like it was a tire rub, then it started sounding like a grind and progressed to sounding like gears were not meshing. It turned out that the clutch packs in the trac-loc were shot and it took the spider gears with it. And the rear end had to be HOT and it only did it when turning.

I can't say that you have the same problem, but if your brakes look ok, you might need to check into the rearend.

I am quite sure it is not the rear-end. I would almost bet $1,000,000 on it.

Thanks for the tips though, but I will probably end up just replacing all the rotors/brake pads here soon.

Glad I got another car to drive. :)