Ground clearance with a 4R70W trans pan on an AODE

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Howdy folks.

I somehow forgot to post a thread up over here regarding ground clearance with a 4R trans pan on our cars. For those that have done it, did you have ground clearance issues like I'm having?

Here's a thread I started in mod-motor land. I had meant to ask you guys if you have issues with it but somehow forgot. :bang:

Anyhow, that was my experience with it, in case it helps someone in the future.

I obviously welcome your thoughts or experiences on the subject. :nice:

P.S. Matt, if you happen to read this, can you please change the title to read Ground Clearance.......... (Bold = the change).
I think that will be more concise for searchers. EDIT: Thanks Matt. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

how's your tranny mount?is it stock?would'nt a new energy suspension poly mount raise the tranny a little to get you the clearance you need?:shrug: i had replaced the stock mount when i still had the aode and it raised the tranny up a little.

Thanks guys. :nice: Davis3, I have the stock mount in there, though I do have a spare Prothane mount lying here. I should try to take a picture of it - the entire pick-up cavity is pretty much below my O/R pipe. I'd need a lot of upward movement in the trans to get the pick-up out of harms way.

Wes, as always, thank you for the reply and offer for a picture. I'm not sure if it'd help because you have such a different exhaust set-up. I would ask if happen to know if your pick-up cavity is the low point in that region. That'd make me feel better atleast.

Me-thinks this is all the reason why we have the short pan from the factory. You cant even get those anymore from what I gather.

I think I'll have to put my thinking cap on and see if I can make a skid plate or something like that.

Many thanks again guys. :nice:

Jt ground clearance is the only reason I don't run a deeper pan. I mean Last week I bottomed out on the x brace a couple times going 30:nonono: If I had a deeper pan I would be on the side of the road. I like the idea of a skid plate but that means more weight, and you'll have to make it thick enough.

I went with a 4x4 AODE pan. It holds a "little" more fluid due to the deeper section for the pickup tube. The pickup tube is also a great benefit. You have to order the 4x4 filter which comes with a tube built in. It'll help ensure you always get fluid even if you are low.

Bosko, I know whatcha mean.

Paul, Is the 4x4 pan about as deep as the 4R pan (the latter measured from the bottom of the pick-up to the rail)? I agree that if one is going to have a low pan, the 4x4 version probably is the way to go. I never considered it when buying a pan. Everything I read on another site said the 4R (passenger car) pan was the route to go and I didn't question it.

I have the B&M deep aluminum pan. It sticks down a lot further than the stocker, but I have never hit anything with it. I'll get some pics when I get home, because my laptop is not letting me attach files. I would imagine that this thing sits lower than the 4r70W pan.

2364300265_abfd9a4d37.jpg

2364300417_bdc84e4757.jpg

There are a couple of mine. It is not as low as I thought - the headers will bottom out way before the pan will.

Wes

Wes and Eddie, thanks so much. :hail2:

Looks like you both are covered nicely, Wes with the LT's and Eddie with what looks to be a really solid pan.

For future searchers, here's the 4R pan with a 94 AODE. You can see why I'm concerned with not having a skid plate or something to kinda protect it. I still haven't had a chance to figure something out.

231121.jpg

Bosko, I know whatcha mean.

Paul, Is the 4x4 pan about as deep as the 4R pan (the latter measured from the bottom of the pick-up to the rail)? I agree that if one is going to have a low pan, the 4x4 version probably is the way to go. I never considered it when buying a pan. Everything I read on another site said the 4R (passenger car) pan was the route to go and I didn't question it.

The 4x4 pan is identical to the stock pan except for the small hump in it. The hump is similar to wes's pic, but doesn't have a plug in the bottom of it.

The 4x4 pan is identical to the stock pan except for the small hump in it. The hump is similar to wes's pic, but doesn't have a plug in the bottom of it.

Thanks Paul. :nice:

I'm going to get some 4x4 pan specs and compare. I know my picture sucked but you can see having that hump hanging down aint no good on mine.