gt-40 lower has egr hole my explorer upper doesnt will it cause problems?

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
ok my explorer upper doesnt have the EGR hole in the center of the intake.
both my lowers the gt-40 and the explorer lower that came with the upper have it.

will it just shoot exhaust out there??
what will it do and will it hurt anything??

• Sponsors (?)

MdntRanger50 said:
Umm, yes it will be shooting exhaust out of the lower egr port hole. You can get an intake spacer that has the hole blocked.

Umm, no it won't. The lower EGR hole will dead end where the upper and lower meet since the upper has no hole. It's exactly the same as using a spacer with no hole.

If you need a functioning egr system to pass emissions, this may cause a problem -- no exhaust = no egr. Also, unless you turn the egr function off in the ecu (chip), the ecu will think that the exhaust gas is present, and at part throttle it will add timing and pull fuel. The presence of the egr/exhaust gas allows it to do this to improve emissions and save fuel. Without the exhaust gas, when the timing is added and the fuel is pulled, you may experience detonation issues. Some people have the problem when they remove the egr; some don't. Know way to tell how yours is gonna respond until you run it. And it will be more likely later in the year (spring/summer) when the ambient temps rise. So it might be ok now, and a problem will reveal itself later in the year.