GT-40P heads, stock cam & 1.7 rockers?

94GT40

Mar 30, 2005
I'm going with the Cobra intake, GT-40P heads, sticking with the stock cam and will be using the 1.7 aluminum roller rockers. A few questions:

1. Does anyone here have a similar combo? If so what rwhp and rwtq numbers are you putting down?

2. From what I've read I will need to use some valve covers with more clearance. Any suggestions for inexpensive valve covers?

3. Will I need to do anything special to the Cobra intake to clear these valve covers?

4. I shouldn't have any piston to valve clearance problems using the stock cam, should I?

5. I read that the 94-95 Cobra's that used the 1.7 rockers actually had a milder cam than the 94-95 GT's. Is that true? It kinda makes sense in that they were only rated at 240hp.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

My dad has this similar combo on his 91. GT-40Ps which have been milled, 1.72 rockers, and a Cobra intake. With all the bolt ons, it made 282 rwhp/318 rwtq and has gone 12.11 @ 110 in the 1/4. The heads have now been milled more and some more race oriented parts have been added. Should see 300+ rwhp, and well into the 11s!

Also forgot to add, this is on a stock cam, and a stock bottem end as well!

25thmustang said:
My dad has this similar combo on his 91. GT-40Ps which have been milled, 1.72 rockers, and a Cobra intake. With all the bolt ons, it made 282 rwhp/318 rwtq and has gone 12.11 @ 110 in the 1/4. The heads have now been milled more and some more race oriented parts have been added. Should see 300+ rwhp, and well into the 11s!

Also forgot to add, this is on a stock cam, and a stock bottem end as well!

Thanks very much for the confirmation. The more I ask people who actually use these heads the better I feel about them. A local cop who has a similar combo is at 285 rwhp.

How do the "Thumper" ported heads compare with the GT-40P heads? I almost ordered the GT-40P's from Tri-State, but I'm still considering other options.

A. Tri-State modified GT-40P's 1.94/1.54 for $470 shipped
B. Thumper E7 ported heads for $595 + shipping
C. Buyfordracing GT-40Y's for $749 + shipping

What's the best bang for the buck for a low budget daily driver?

SaltWaterFish said:
You'll have to get new headers($$$) with the P's. Thumpers :nice:
I've got no experience with these heads/headers, but I have read on these boards some conflicting information. I think it was GreenMustangGT, he said regular headers work fine, he just needed to modify a socket for the spark plugs. Maybe contact him for more info, good luck

The MAC header coating is junk and is only applied to the outside. Contact Jet-Hot and get the headers you need with an internal and external coating with a good warranty (which you won't need).