Gt-40p Springs

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Ok, what springs should I put on these heads?

Combo will be:
Gt-40p's
TFS Stage 1 cam
Crane Cobra 1.72 RR's
Cobra intake w/ported lower and 65mm tb.

I know I could probably pick up a better head, but I already have these and would like to run them. So what spring kits are out there for them these days?

Crane 44308-1's? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-44308-1

This kit from Alex's parts which I've read about in a few spots? http://alexsparts.com/sb-ford-gt40p-drop-in-valve-springs-kit-hyd-roller-580-lift/

Does trick flow make a kit anymore? Last I checked on some old part numbers, they were discontinued? Any substitutes?

• Sponsors (?)

Yup those. Thought they were discontinued.

So, any particular ones to choose or doesn't really matter? I was leaning crane

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Yup those. Thought they were discontinued.

So, any particular ones to choose or doesn't really matter? I was leaning crane

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Alex's are hard to beat for the money, and a member in another club has them with N-41 with ported P heads/intake making 303 on the dyno.

If you haven't brought the cam yet, I have COMP-XE274HR cam, with the recommended COMP springs, and lifters

Unfortunately, Cam is already sitting in my parts pile.

I really just need springs at this point, followed by the usual H/C/I swap parts like gaskets and fluids and RTV.

I may send a spare GT40 lower to Tmoss to port.

Unfortunately, Cam is already sitting in my parts pile.

I really just need springs at this point, followed by the usual H/C/I swap parts like gaskets and fluids and RTV.

I may send a spare GT40 lower to Tmoss to port.

No problem, I just had one on the self.

Like I said before I have ran Alex's and a few other of my friends without any problems. His kit is tailored to compensate for the different valve heights of the Ps.

I like the beehive springs but rather something that is zero guess work if you're not familiar with it.

Also, I think TMoss runs around $180ish last I checked.

I'll prob go Alex's springs. I've read good things about them and see they are used on a lot of GT-40P combos. Just looking for something that's zero guess work.

Really these, port my lower and assemble gaskets/fluids and I can setup to do a HCI swap.

I'll prob go Alex's springs. I've read good things about them and see they are used on a lot of GT-40P combos. Just looking for something that's zero guess work.

Really these, port my lower and assemble gaskets/fluids and I can setup to do a HCI swap.

Since you are sticking with the p's regardless, consider letting a machine shop valve job, bowl cleanup and install the springs, they will check and shim for height and seat pressure, also will make sure will be sure everything seals up correctly.

Last time I had it done in NJ it cost $225. We are on the high side everything usually (other than gas). So it very well may cost you less.
It's a good bang for your buck at that number and will definitely pick up some power.

My buddy sent every set of heads to machine shop. He didn't care the history.
New, old, aluminum, iron.
Said it was too much work to pull a set back off, basically it was $200 in insurance and peace of mind.
According to the machine shop guy, no head he's ever valve jobbed regardless of brand is ever 100% out of the box, that includes afr's and tw's.

I'd bet there is 10-15hp in a good valve job.

Reactions: 1 user