GT 500 Supercharger Life Expectancy

05Stangster

Mar 31, 2005
Austin, Texas
For all those with past supercharger experiences, how long will the s/c last before it goes and you have to rebuild/replace (50,000 100,000 forever if you take care of it)? I know little to nothing about s/c and am very interested in how long it will last, what will the maintenance be (i.e. I believe with the Saleen s/c you change the oil when you change your oil in the car).

• Sponsors (?)

If I remember correctly, Ford performs sufficient pre-production durability testing to "warranty" the functionality of the supercharger/engine for roughly 150,000 miles (my mileage figure could be slightly off, but it's at least 100,000 miles).

I believe this figure was thrown around when talk of the 03/04 cobras was a hot topic - people were also curious about how long the engine/supercharger was "guaranteed for."

Realisticaly, under normal driving conditions and with proper car maintenance, the engine/supercharger should easily last the lifetime of the car.

However, once you start heavily modding (ie - swapping pulleys for huge boost, and treating it like a red-headed stepchild at the racetrack) - all bets are off, at least from a warranty standpoint LOL. Take a look at some of the 03/04 owners who ran way too much boost through their engines while racing - breakage happens when you push an engine to its limits. If you want to play, you got to pay.

:cheers: