Gt Aerodynamic Tech

• Sponsors (?)

Because nascar speeds are not present on public roads, Functional side skirts help with water puddles :D

Automakers do not go to great lengths to reduce drag for high speed, they do it for fuel economy. A side skirt is perfectly functional and worthwhile for increasing fuel economy. Unfortunately, having them low enough to be effective also means that they will probably not survive their first encounter with a speed bump, and they will scrape annoyingly as you travel down the road.

All this talk of aerodynamics and my dd is probable the least aero of them all

IMG_20120405_1448061.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Automakers do not go to great lengths to reduce drag for high speed, they do it for fuel economy.....
Generally speeaking no - I can agree with that especially when it comes to the Fox Body Mustang in which we are discussing here. HOWEVER - Ford DID do extensive high speed wind tunnel testing and aero improvements for the current 2013-2014 Shelby GT500 to achieve the 200+ mph speeds. It is an exception especially with Ford but many european automakers especially those who manufacture exotics do high speed aero testing and improvements. :)
Basically the fox body Mustang is a brick. Don't forget though at the time when it was first out it was FAR more aerodynamic than a Mustang II or any other Mustang predecessors. I believe the rear spoilers on the LX and GT do actually offer aero improvements for cleaner air flow off the rear of the car...a little more so with the GT. They do work. The front GT/Cobra Fascias do create more down force than the LX nose. I'd say the GT rear skirts trap air if anything at the back - creating a cutout and a functional rear diffuser would help! I imagine a good drop in ride height greatly improves these cars aerodynamically as well.
Just my 2 cents

On a stock GT at speeds of 140 and up, the front end has more down force than the rear. Saleen had some high speed photos that show the rear of the car lifting at speeds above 140, thus the whale-tail rear wing on the Saleen version of the Fox Mustang.

Generally speeaking no - I can agree with that especially when it comes to the Fox Body Mustang in which we are discussing here. HOWEVER - Ford DID do extensive high speed wind tunnel testing and aero improvements for the current 2013-2014 Shelby GT500 to achieve the 200+ mph speeds. It is an exception especially with Ford but many european automakers especially those who manufacture exotics do high speed aero testing and improvements. :)
Basically the fox body Mustang is a brick. Don't forget though at the time when it was first out it was FAR more aerodynamic than a Mustang II or any other Mustang predecessors. I believe the rear spoilers on the LX and GT do actually offer aero improvements for cleaner air flow off the rear of the car...a little more so with the GT. They do work. The front GT/Cobra Fascias do create more down force than the LX nose. I'd say the GT rear skirts trap air if anything at the back - creating a cutout and a functional rear diffuser would help! I imagine a good drop in ride height greatly improves these cars aerodynamically as well.
Just my 2 cents

We pretty much agree. The GT500 is a special case car built with a specific goal in mind, but the average production car only goes to the wind tunnel for fuel economy and cooling efficiency testing. My original point was simply that the cars do not need to be going Nascar speeds to benefit from better aero efficiency.

I suppose that the LX spoiler or perhaps the GT wing could allow for a cleaner flow off the rear of the car, but my only issue is that the flow has already separated at that point. My feeling is that probably the GT wing causes some minimal drag and the LX spoiler does nothing significant.

The only way I can really see the Fox Mustang being better in this department would be to slope the roof far more gradually. It just isn't really possible with the design of the car.

Lower ride height would certainly be more helpful, these cars are very aerodynamically dirty underneath so keeping as much air from under the car as possible would be the best.

On a stock GT at speeds of 140 and up, the front end has more down force than the rear. Saleen had some high speed photos that show the rear of the car lifting at speeds above 140, thus the whale-tail rear wing on the Saleen version of the Fox Mustang.

To be clear, there probably isn't any true downforce at all. The whole car probably generates a lot of lift in stock form. I could see the rear of the GT having a lot of lift at the rear due to the rear bumper design. The engineers would hang their heads in shame in the modern world.