GT Door Sill I.D. Tag Problem

I own a 2001 GT which has the I.D decal on the driver's side inside the door sill next to the rear quarter panel. The problem here is that when I bought my car brand new over 2 1/2 years ago when Ford detailed the car they must have washed, cleaned and wiped down inside the door sills causing the decal to get all smudged up. Half of the I.D. decal is smudged and you cannot see the VIN number clearly. I guess that the ink on the ID tag that's inside the door sill must have been still fresh when they cleaned over it causing the ink to smudge.

I would like to know if this same thing has happened to anybody in here? Also, I would like to know if I am able to get another ID decal from Ford to put inside the door sill? Or should I just keep on the one that's already on the car from the factory which is all smudged up? I want to keep my GT for a lifetime if I can and I do not want the smudged ID decal to ever be an issue regarding whether or not my 2001 GT is an authentic vehicle. Please tell me if this is going to become a problem in the near future? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Ron Jeremy said:
I own a 2001 GT which has the I.D decal on the driver's side inside the door sill next to the rear quarter panel. The problem here is that when I bought my car brand new over 2 1/2 years ago when Ford detailed the car they must have washed, cleaned and wiped down inside the door sills causing the decal to get all smudged up. Half of the I.D. decal is smudged and you cannot see the VIN number clearly. I guess that the ink on the ID tag that's inside the door sill must have been still fresh when they cleaned over it causing the ink to smudge.

I would like to know if this same thing has happened to anybody in here? Also, I would like to know if I am able to get another ID decal from Ford to put inside the door sill? Or should I just keep on the one that's already on the car from the factory which is all smudged up? I want to keep my GT for a lifetime if I can and I do not want the smudged ID decal to ever be an issue regarding whether or not my 2001 GT is an authentic vehicle. Please tell me if this is going to become a problem in the near future? Thanks.

its nothing to worry about, you have your vin all over the car, in places you dont even about, so no..it wont be an issue at all :)

Okay. It's good to know that it will not affect the authenticity of the car. I was worried there for a moment. The I.D. decal is still on the car, but almost 75% of the wording and the UPC code on it is badly smudged. I am wondering how a decal like this got smudge so easily if it happened during the detailing process. Has anyone in here seen any other Mustang GT's like mine that also have a smudged up I.D. decal on the inside side of the door sill? I am curious to find out whether or not this is a common problem with some cars. Thanks.

If you want you can purchase the whole stinking decal package from ford costing a lot of money it inlcudes ALL of the decals to inlude the catylyst diagram and the serpentine belt diagram under the hood. I know this cause When I changed my hood I wanted it all to look stock and I had to give ford my VIN number and they ordered the WHOLE decal package cause that was the onl way you could get them. My suggestion. live with it. Mine is two years old and it is strting to get smeared also