GT Fog light Fix (pics)

• Sponsors (?)

Darkwriter....I'm just curious...what would be the E.T. difference with the MASSIVE 400LB FOGLIGHT BRACKET removed. :rolleyes:

Yes, for the most part, factory fog lamps are for appearances only...but what's wrong w/ that? Personally, I think the GT fog lights are GREAT for extra light. Especially w/ decent bulbs. How much weight are you gonna save by going through the hassle of unbolting the lights and dropping the bracket...really. I get angry when I see GT's w/o the foglights on. Its one of those things that makes us GT drivers stand out. (and it DOES look awesome)

What someone needs to do is open up the bulb housing and rig up some halogen bulbs inside the glass so they're brighter. I've got a 100w halogen bulb in each of my Pacecar fog lights. They're super bright.

Darkwriter77 said:
Weight loss on a car is GAY? What's that got to do with sexual orientation, anyway? :p

The OEM FOG LIGHTS are ghey, IMHO, because they really don't do jack for lighting - strictly an appearance mod, as you've just said so, yourself, by "They make the car LOOK killer." (Looks = nothing in performance.) If you want REAL light get some genuine HID's in place, or otherwise vamp up the primary headlamp system; otherwise, the OEM foggies are so friggin' prone to failure and put out such a worthless amount of light that they're not even worth fixing, anyway. Those empty holes left afterward could be used for intake ducting spots for, say, a pair of turbochargers. :D Or you could just 'glass and paint over it to smooth it in with the rest of the front fascia (looks perfectly fine on the cars I've seen it done on before). In fact, I think there's even a company or two that sells "plugs" that go in those empty eye sockets left after you take out your foglights. (If not, there should be - I smell a patent worth some money waiting to be claimed... :) )

All that having been said, still, I give kudos to Jaswir, anyway, for taking the time to rewire it all up right n' proper and un-do another Ford design goof. Me, I'm just lazy and would rather delete something like that than re-engineer the entire wiring setup for it, but the fact that you went the extra mile shows you have a lot of automotive creativity and ambition.

But hey, Smokin91, your car is your car -do with it as you please. Just don't go throwing accusations of homosexuality around at people simply for having a difference of opinion. Because that's just ... well ... ghey. :D

If you actually did the fog light fix and got some decent bulbs and got rid of your 10 year old yellow lenses, you would realize that the fogs put out just as much light as the headlights.

GT'S that dont have the foglights in place where they are supposed to be look "GHETTO". My lights put out a good amount of light, but my lenses are new. To each their own.
I think it looks pretty good @ night running with fogs and parking lights.

1991vert said:
using foglights is "illegal" when the weather is clear and they are not needed

Never heard of that one before. Thats like saying daytime running lights are "illegal" because its bright out and who needs lights in the day. Another dumb law. I sometimes think the people that make these laws up are as dumb as some of the laws themselves.

RUNINAGT said:
GT'S that dont have the foglights in place where they are supposed to be look "GHETTO". My lights put out a good amount of light, but my lenses are new. To each their own.
I think it looks pretty good @ night running with fogs and parking lights.

My car dosent look "GHETTO" without them :shrug:

It's not that ditching fogs, along, brings THAT huge of a weight loss, but rather what that will net you in combination with a few other unnecessary items that Ford packaged in Foxes to pretty them up but slow them down. Deleting the fogs, rear seat, and that sound insulation crap from under the carpet, alone, puts you somewhere close to 100 lbs. of dead weight removed - 100 lbs. = 10 horses or one tenth in the quarter-mile, and generally less weight = better handling (not so much mass to sling around).

Anyway, again, it's your car, so do as you please. If image is all you're after, then by all means, load up with a couple of 50-pound subs and amps, one of those heavy rear seat "delete" kits that weigh more than the OEM rear seat, some 17" or 18" rims with more heavy metal in 'em to sling around, a bunch of added ground effects and a fat ol' Saleen whale tale wing, and enjoy; if you're more performance-oriented, you'll likely find that less is more, and you'll find that more often than not the guys who are serious about getting the most out of their cars for the least amount of cost will strip off all the unnecessary luxury/appearance crap they can to save weight ... starting with the foglights on GT's.

FWIW, I was being more flippant and sarcastic than outright serious with my first post suggesting he delete his fogs - again, my hat's off to 'im for putting in the effort to re-engineer it so that those foglights work right n' proper - but I guess sometimes it's hard to pick up on that sort of thing in text-only format. That, and some folks just can't stand others having a difference of opinion. :D

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but the Grand Daddy of all Fox's, the '93 Cobra R, doesn't think the lack of fog lights is "ghetto"....but then again, it had brake cooling ducts in their place too.

In Illinois the law states that a motor vehicle should have no more than 2 lamps in the front when on dim. I got pulled over two times for having driving lights on when in town when I should have had dim lights on. I just got warnings, but what a hassle from the state police.

I know that new cars are wired for the "fog lights" to only work when the dims are on. This is because you don't use bright lights in fog and they figure the driver can flip the switch on or off. This of course that doesn't work because everyone has them on whenever they turn on their headlights to be cool:rolleyes:

Anyways, cars that come with the driving lights installed are cool, aftermarkets are hard to make look cool without right bumper. Do the fix, save a meltdown.