gt rear tail lights? where?

• Sponsors (?)

The Shape said:
Yep no one that I know of has them aftermarket. But since so many people swap there out for LX lights they shouldn't be too tough to come by. For the record I like the cheese graters better on a GT anyway.

I'm with you. I don't think most people understand, when I bought this car the LX was the (forgive me) low-rent version of the GT- to me the tail lights are plain-jane looking compared to the cheese-graters. I ordered this car and waited six months for it (delayed for T-tops first, then for Premium Sound system) because it is a GT, I don't WANT it to be confused with an LX. Just me.

I know, lots of folks love LXs, don't flame- to each his own! :)

I bought mine for $74 including shipping cost off of ebay for my 89 GT...they are out there but if you want brand new I have seen them go for as much as $250 which is ridiculous to pay....both the LX and GT look good in my mind but I still like the cheese graders a little more

Here's my before and after
PICT0006a.jpg

PICT0007a.jpg

Attachments

• PICT0006a.jpg
    PICT0006a.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 71
  • PICT0007a.jpg
    PICT0007a.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 58
87TTopGT said:
I'm with you. I don't think most people understand, when I bought this car the LX was the (forgive me) low-rent version of the GT- to me the tail lights are plain-jane looking compared to the cheese-graters. I ordered this car and waited six months for it (delayed for T-tops first, then for Premium Sound system) because it is a GT, I don't WANT it to be confused with an LX. Just me.

I know, lots of folks love LXs, don't flame- to each his own! :)

I feel the same about my GT's taillights. Sure, I'll admit the LX tails are a lot cleaner looking, but a 5.0 GT is supposed to have the cheesegraters... it's a signature aspect of the car, like the bodykit, the sound, or the 5.0 badges. I thought about changing my lights, but I think they're part of the car's 'personality'.... It'd be like changing the 4 separate taillights on a vette to a different setup. :D

The cheesegraters are so obviously something out of the late 80's that they do look pretty dated now, but before you know it they'll be considred cool again... just like with fashion or music, it's never good to be dated, but once something hits the 'retro' stage people start to appeciate it again. Just look how the 'period' look is becoming more and more popular with hot rods and muscle cars... people are finally appreciating the styling that was popular when an older vehicle was new, instead of trying to update to a newer, more modern style that will just become dated in a few years anyway.

That being said I definately like how clean the LX or SVO tails look, so I don't think you can really go wrong with whatever you choose.