GT Sparkplugs

ptim

Dec 3, 2003
Florida
I have to replace the sparkplugs in my wifes (all stock) 03 Mustang GT, are there any sparkplugs that are better than any others, she doesnt need performance plugs. But I dont want to put crappy plugs in.

Thanks for any suggestions

• Sponsors (?)

I would suggest Motorcraft AGSF-32PP for you.

You do know that the stock plug is good for 100k miles right? Might not want to even mess with it if it is just the wife's car.

Kilgore Trout said:

You do know that the stock plug is good for 100k miles right? Might not want to even mess with it if it is just the wife's car.

what he said ^^^

[Yipes!! I just realized I just agreed with Kilgore:eek: ]

Kilgore Trout said:

While your statement is true, the information given states he has to replace them. I wonder if the current ones are fouled badly or damaged due to another problem?

I let my stock plugs go 90k and after seeing them I would definately have done it at 50k or so. They looked fine, but the electrodes were extremely worn, which made excessively large gaps and led to some pinging. So, I think the 100k spark plug change is pushing it a little unless you drive like grandma. Yeah, you can go that far, but I wouldn't.

Kilgore Trout said:

Im not sure if they are bad, Im getting reports from her that the car doesnt start as soon as she touches the key. It turns over a few times before it starts. Im sure if I take it in for warranty work, they will replace the plugs and charge me a fortune. Plus, I dint feel like wasting a day or two at the Ford Dealership.

If, the plugs wont correct the problem, then I'll go get it checked out.

ptim said:
Im not sure if they are bad, Im getting reports from her that the car doesnt start as soon as she touches the key. It turns over a few times before it starts. Im sure if I take it in for warranty work, they will replace the plugs and charge me a fortune. Plus, I dint feel like wasting a day or two at the Ford Dealership.

If, the plugs wont correct the problem, then I'll go get it checked out.

fuel presure is draining back.

does it do this on HOT starts or only whne first started after sitting awile.( like first thing in the morning)

svttech76 said:
fuel presure is draining back.

does it do this on HOT starts or only whne first started after sitting awile.( like first thing in the morning)

I talked to her about it, it doesnt matter, hot or cold and it doesnt happen all the time, I'm thinking maybe the alternator or battery might be going bad.

On the flip side, if you change them now, they might be a lot easier to get out than when they have 100k on them. I changed my explorer at 70k. I don't believe the gap stays right that long. You can probably get away with 100k, I just rather be safe than get stuck somewhere, especially if its the wifes car.

Tell her to try this for a few days. Instead of cranking the car right up, turn the key to the on position, wait a few seconds, the start it. If the fuel pressure is draining off this will give the pump a chance to build the pressure back up. If she does this, and it still doesn't start right up, you know you have to start looking at other things.

jstreet0204 said:
Tell her to try this for a few days. Instead of cranking the car right up, turn the key to the on position, wait a few seconds, the start it. If the fuel pressure is draining off this will give the pump a chance to build the pressure back up. If she does this, and it still doesn't start right up, you know you have to start looking at other things.
Damned good advice--if the issue IS fuel related. This will surely tell you if the fuel pump is starving the spark.