Gt40 egr issues upper/lower

Noob here to the forums but I’m trying... lol
I inherited a lot of 302 parts, motors (non ho and ho)heads, gt40 stuff and now I’m piecing it all together finally. I have a complete gt40 motor from a 2001 explorer that has no egr port on the lower intake but the freshly powder coated gt40 upper i have does have the egr passage. What’s a guy to do? If I slap the two together and don’t run the external egr crap will it be ok?

• Sponsors (?)

In your opinion, is there an advantage to running the egr? I was hoping it was as simple a block off plate. Thx for the advice

It's not so much advantage/disadvantage as it is ease of tuning your combo to run the best.

Highly modified engine running an aftermarket ECU? Delete. Stock a9x processor with simple HCI and a tune...someday? Might be best to keep the egr functional.

Of course plenty have deleted it without issue. Other questions to ask are do you need to pass a sniffer at all? Do you care much about fuel economy (egr helps with cruise fuel economy). You can also get a custom tune to remove it from the a9x logic

Let me put it another way. Ported Cobra gt40 intake, tfs170s, custom cam, a9l processor for my car..keeping the egr. If/when I go megasquirt...I will delete

Last edited:
@Mustang5L5 thank you for your reasonable and well thought out answer. The only things I can add is to expand on the legal and stock computer issues.
If it is on the street, the pollution controls have to be there by Federal law. Just because no president has yet required enforcement in all states, all it would take is a bee in a President’s bonnet. With an executive order, every car with pollution controls, every state, all checked and fined if not right. It’s not likely to happen for the next two years, but it might happen.
Your stock computer is programmed to run with an EGR system, the Smog Pump and control valves. And although it will run without them, I am leaving all my smog stuff on to not throw codes and have a computer temper tantrum. (Besides, the cows and I like clean air.) Except for the cats themselves, it just is not that much weight on a street car. (And the high flow cats made my stereo work a lot better or the exhaust quieter.:)
Now if I get parts that make my car too high strung for a stock computer, anything not needed may then go on the shelf.

Good info guys. I’m currently running antique auto tags so no sniffer test required. I don’t really care about gas mileage as of now because it’s a weekend cruiser and auto crosser as of now. It’s a very unorthodox build, I’m currently running a carbureted non HO motor in my 81 rx7 project but can’t wait to drop this efi gt40 motor in over the winter. I’ll post pictures if anyone wants to see.

Reactions: 1 users
Here you go guys, my buddies and me call it the frankenmazda 5.0 Like I said it’s just a non HO paired with a tremec t5. I have a 8.8 lsd/5 lug disc brake to go in it with the gt40 motor. I should be able to start the new build after the new year
6ABEDCFF-B72F-495C-879A-FDA7AE0C8920.jpeg
2C2702A6-C655-48D6-92D0-55F39C965B7D.jpeg
6015D693-ED8D-430A-A42D-57B07A01451A.jpeg
169269C2-CD49-42DF-B4B1-036C47929637.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users