GT40 F3ZE Explorer Heads!!!

1989SCZ

Jan 21, 2009
okay, im looking to buy a set of F3ZE GT40 Explorer Heads for $87 each. As well as a GT40 Explorer Intake (price unknown yet).

How much am I able to mill before piston to valve clearance becomes an issue with the following:

-Stock cam with possible 1.6 or 1.7rr?

-Aftermarket cam with .500 to .550 lift and possible 1.6 or 1.7rr?

Will milling .030 cause problems with lower manifold to head alignment?

It would be great for some help, i know there are forums on here similar to this, but the information is scattered and I've tried my best to search and get some ball park estimates.

I am mainly trying to get a list of possible issues and problems that could arise from this swap beforehand.

• Sponsors (?)

im probably not going to get a cam with .550 lift. .500 to .550 was just a range of possible different lifts. i dont know what cam and roller rocker ratio to use that would work best (or worst).:shrug:

I know tmoss uses 1.6rr(i think, maybe they are 1.7) but he has a stock cam. i was thinking maybe a b303 or a crowler cam. unless you think my stock HO cam would work better.

but as for the heads and intake, i want to get them both ported, and have the heads milled. any other input or suggestions are welcome. its still kinda up in the air right now.

I bent 2 valves with 1.7s and the e-cam with .020 milled from GT40s. The trouble with used heads like mine is that its tough to know if anything been milled in the past - which I now suspect is the case on mine.

Good luck...

Posted via Mobile Device

I have used the crower 15511 cam and was not real impressed, but it was an AOD car.
I just had .025 removed from my heads to bring them to 58cc and the intake was way off, but I think it was somewhat off before I did the heads (don`t know history of the heads). I have removed .050 from each side of the intake and now it sits close, still not perfect.
I would stay with 1.6 rockers and choose cam based on them.

There is no set of parameters that will assure clearance with any given engine combo. Once you start milling and changing cams and rockers then all bets are off and the clearances should be checked as you go.

It's not a cam's maximum lift that determines whether or not it will clear. It's the cam timing that determines clearance. Some cams come with different ramp rates that open the valves faster than other cams. You may run into issues at only .100 lift or some other number.

from their on-line catelog - the 15510 cam is the auto cam. Both great mild cams

Attachments

• Crower 15510-15511.jpg
    Crower 15510-15511.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 265
Powerband. With an AOD, you spend more time in the lower range of the RPM band so you want something with a little more low end grunt. With the 5-spd, the cams tend to make power near the top of the RPM range.

Plus there is the additional power robbed by the AOD trans

well i just bought the pair of heads for a total of $189. they seem to look pretty good. (im gonna have to check them out for cracks of course)

so im gonna have to wait and see how they turn out. any suggestions or advice is still very welcome!

since im thinking of getting the heads ported/gasket matched (along with the intake), any ideas on what gasket to use?

i hear the fel pro 1250 is really popular. but what about the fel pro 1262? do you think gasket matching with the fel pro 1262 or something similar would be removing too much material?

since im thinking of getting the heads ported/gasket matched (along with the intake), any ideas on what gasket to use?

i hear the fel pro 1250 is really popular. but what about the fel pro 1262? do you think gasket matching with the fel pro 1262 or something similar would be removing too much material?

the 1262 are for a raised intake runner. Go with the 1250.