Gt40 Intake Trouble

Chris Lennon

Jan 8, 2017
hi my name is Christophe. Ahead of time I want to say I've already done countless hours of searching I'm crapped out. My problem is after swaping the stock 5.0 intake manifold to the later model gt40 my car will not start, it gives a bloop sound initially but after that it's all starter (CAR WAS RUNNING STRONG BEFORE SWAP). Everything that was changed during swap: water pump, thermostat housing, distributor rotor only, distributor cap, spark plugs, wires, temp sensor & connector, fuel filter, that's all I can remember if I left anything out it was petty maintenance. Although my vacuum hoses appeared to be right I am definitely not sure because I got the diagram off line. To replace water pump the harmonic balancer pully had to come off when putting it back on the crank shaft turn slightly (2-3 inches rotation wise) I'm crapped out I can't think of why it won't start. It's not even turning over period at first crank it's a bloop but after it's all starter. (5 speed manual of it matters..)

Attachments

• IMG_6031.JPG
    IMG_6031.JPG
    678.5 KB · Views: 1,351
  • IMG_6042.PNG
    IMG_6042.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 7,188
  • Sponsors (?)

When you put the distributor back in, was the number one piston at TDC on the compression stroke?

All electronics plugged in and verified in working order?

Does it have spark?
Does it have fuel?

@jrichker is a Wealth of knowledge on this site,with insanely detailed,and somewhat overwhelming check lists that can help you through most anything.. I recommend you search out his No start checklist on this site.

I'll tag some very knowledgeable people-if they have time,they will offer up some advice.
@Boosted92LX @hoopty5.0 @95BlueStallion @90sickfox

Thanks a lot but I'm not sure if I stated in my original post but I did NOT remove the distributor (only rotor and cap). As I mentioned I'm new to the forums and still figuring out how to work things. I am for ANY and ALL advice. All the connections appear to plugged where I'm hung is at the vacuum for the upper intake but I'm not a technician I merely only know what I've learned from trial and error with vehicles. As mentioned before the car was running STRONG before manifold swap.
When you put the distributor back in, was the number one piston at TDC on the compression stroke?

All electronics plugged in and verified in working order?

Does it have spark?
Does it have fuel?

@jrichker is a Wealth of knowledge on this site,with insanely detailed,and somewhat overwhelming check lists that can help you through most anything.. I recommend you search out his No start checklist on this site.

I'll tag some very knowledgeable people-if they have time,they will offer up some advice.
@Boosted92LX @hoopty5.0 @95BlueStallion @90sickfox

Yes there is definitely fuel I pinched whatever the device on the fuel rail is and gas squirted out. Now spark I'm not a 100% sure. As I said I'm not the best with engines but I get the gist.
Thanks a lot but I'm not sure if I stated in my original post but I did NOT remove the distributor (only rotor and cap). As I mentioned I'm new to the forums and still figuring out how to work things. I am for ANY and ALL advice. All the connections appear to plugged where I'm hung is at the vacuum for the upper intake but I'm not a technician I merely only know what I've learned from trial and error with vehicles. As mentioned before the car was running STRONG before manifold swap.

My guess is your timing is off, as Raggedy stated. Try stabbing the distributor with the rotor advanced and/or retarded from what you think is TDC right now. Maybe you are a tooth or two off.

Also, go back and make sure you reconnected all your electronic connections. It sounds like something is disconnected (distributor or coil) for it to be cranking but getting NO spark.

Sorry for coming off like such a noob but how do I do what you just stated? With that being said I don't want to step over what you just said I'm a just curious how can my timing be off if I didn't unbolt the distributor? The rotor as I'm sure you already know has a slot that can't be mistaken when i took it off im sure it was in the same position from the start. Once again I'm just trying give knowledge of my situation. Thanks for the replies!

Are you running a stock lower intake with a gt40 upper?

Sorry for coming off like such a noob but how do I do what you just stated? With that being said I don't want to step over what you just said I'm a just curious how can my timing be off if I didn't unbolt the distributor? The rotor as I'm sure you already know has a slot that can't be mistaken when i took it off im sure it was in the same position from the start. Once again I'm just trying give knowledge of my situation. Thanks for the replies!

If you didn't pull the distributor out, it doesn't need to be restabbed. @95BlueStallion was most likely thinking when you reinstalled it you got the timing off, but not possible if you didn't pull the distributor. Now, your spark advance could be off if you loosened the distributor and rotated the housing. That might do it if you turned it far enough.

When you plugged everything back in you most likely forgot a connection. The tfi plug on the distributor is possible, my son pulled that trick the other day and I looked for ten minutes before finding it unplugged. Get an old spark plug and pull the coil wire from the distributor. Put rhe sparkplug in the end and lay it on the engine somewhere while someone cranks on it. That should tell you if you have spark or not.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry for the late reply I really appreciate everyone's help!! Although everyone is still misunderstanding that I did NOT touch the distributor bolt I merely popped off the cap took the old rotor out and replaced it with the new while at the same time replacing the cap. Again the distributor never shifted from its original position just rotor and cap. And @RaggedGT no, it's all round gt40 lower and upper. Stock lower probably would have work with a gt40 up but it's would have been a very weird fit. My reason for replacing the manifold to begin with was I broke a bolt off in the lower intake manifold where the thermostat housing goes. I think tomorrow I'm going to pull the upper back off to see if there any connections I over looked

Sorry for the late reply I really appreciate everyone's help!! Although everyone is still misunderstanding that I did NOT touch the distributor bolt I merely popped off the cap took the old rotor out and replaced it with the new while at the same time replacing the cap. Again the distributor never shifted from its original position just rotor and cap. And @RaggedGT no, it's all round gt40 lower and upper. Stock lower probably would have work with a gt40 up but it's would have been a very weird fit. My reason for replacing the manifold to begin with was I broke a bolt off in the lower intake manifold where the thermostat housing goes. I think tomorrow I'm going to pull the upper back off to see if there any connections I over looked
They just wanted to be sure you didn't turn the distributor.. All that's left to do is what you (and everybody else lol.) have said-check for things not plugged in,loosely connected or broken. Make sure the plug wires are in the right order on the cap and go from there :nice:

*update* CAR IS STILL NOT STARTING. Every connection is hooked up. After breaking it back down I realized it's really not even that many connections to have been a problem. That being said I'm going with ignition/timing issues because I'm out of ideas as I've said it was running PERFECT before the swap

Pictures please.

Also please state everything you disconnected.

Things to look for are.....
"Salt and Pepper shakers" electrical connections behind the intake.
Tps sensor and iac on the throttle body.
MAF sensor on the intake tubing.
Plug for the TFI on the distributor.
Ect sensor.

Vacuum connections are many but I will give you a website for all connections.

Www.veryuseful.com

Check connections again.
A lot of stuff must be disconnected for an intake swap.
all injectors(also swapped to new intake), iac, tps, ecs, ets, egr, iat,maf, plug wires,and i believe there is a connector at the front of the engine, connecting the engine harness and lower harness.

And like mentioned above, pictures!

Hello I believe it's my firing order!! I changed the plugs but use and online diagram now I I've looked at old pictures it's definitely different!!! Thing is I can't tell which is which I will post an old picture during the swap of how they were.

Attachments

• IMG_6017.jpg
    IMG_6017.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 579