GT40 lower oil baffle, how do I remove it?

DaSouthWon

Jun 29, 2008
Oakland, TN
I purchased an upper and lower GT-40 intake off of ebay. When I received it, to say it was filthy, would be an understatement. I got the upper plenum almost spotless, but the underside of the lower intake is coated in what could be best described as a burnt tar substance thats stubborn as a mule to get off. My plan is to bead blast the lower once I get the funk off but I can't figure out how to remove the oil baffle to get to a majority of the goo. It appears that its held in place by pressed in studs, but I can't get them to budge. I could obviously just cut it off but I want to put it back in place once I'm through cleaning it. What is the best method to get these studs out without damaging the baffle?

• Sponsors (?)

Stick it in the oven at like 250-300F and see if you cant get them out with some Vice-Grips while its still hot (wearing gloves, obviously).

You could always drill them out, tap the holes, and replace them with some machine screws and some Loctite when you go to reassemble it. If you do manage to pull them out, remember that you'll want to Loctite them back in anyway, you don't want them loose in your lifter valley.