GT40 or Cobra intake?

citmov

10 Year Member
Sep 25, 2009
Chi-town
Hey guys,
I need to decide on which intake to put on my LX. The GT40 tubular intake or the Cobra...which one? Need to send one to powder coat soon. Help me decide!

GT40 lower: RF-F4ZE 9K461-B
Cobra lower: RF-F873 9k461 - BA

IMG_4518.jpg

IMG_5178-1.jpg

OR

View attachment 201791
IMG_5165-1.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Which ever one you prefer the looks of, because they perform nearly identical. Lower intakes are exactly the same upper plenum of the gt40 flows just a tad better, nothing big at all. If you have both already id send the gt40 out for powdercoat as it looks pretty cool. However you could probably fetch a nice penny off that gt40 on ebay if you wanted to and just keep the cobra. Up to you man want do you want!!

I think the tubular looks better, but it's really up to you. Like said above, there is really no performance difference between the tubular, Cobra, or even the Explorer GT40. Some people seem to think the tubular upper is better for some reason, but I have yet to see any real evidence of that.

I think the tubular looks better, but it's really up to you. Like said above, there is really no performance difference between the tubular, Cobra, or even the Explorer GT40. Some people seem to think the tubular upper is better for some reason, but I have yet to see any real evidence of that.

prob better cooling with the open tubular runners like that.

Use the F4 lower...the lowers are not exactly the same. If you look closely at the ports where the lowers meet the heads, the F4 ones are slightly larger.

As for the uppers....sell the GT40 for $400 and put the Cobra on. If the lower is unported, the upper makes no difference.

Of course, if you want to save 7 pounds, use the GT40

OR, you could sell both for $500-600, and pick up an explorer for $75, sell the lower for $50 and run the upper intake only :)

prob better cooling with the open tubular runners like that.

:shrug:

Use the F4 lower...the lowers are not exactly the same. If you look closely at the ports where the lowers meet the heads, the F4 ones are slightly larger.

As for the uppers....sell the GT40 for $400 and put the Cobra on. If the lower is unported, the upper makes no difference.

Of course, if you want to save 7 pounds, use the GT40

OR, you could sell both for $500-600, and pick up an explorer for $75, sell the lower for $50 and run the upper intake only :)

Explorer FTW! Also, isn't the F4 lower supposed to have more material for porting or something?

Thanks guys! Got some good options for now! Just wanted to get some other opinions. I'm leaning toward the GT40 b/c of the way it looks and I can't believe how light it is! Thanks again for the advice!

It really comes down to personal opinion. I think the GT40 looks much better. There are intakes like Edelbrocks that flow much better, but they are uglier than sin! If you want to do something like extrued hone, go with the Cobra. Their isn't enough material to do it to the GT.