GT40P heads -CAM? stock headers?Help

Afastgts95

Mar 11, 2004
What would be the best cam to work with GT40p heads? When installing these heads do my stock headers bolt up? Is there anything else I would have to modify to replace my stock heads with the gt40p heads?

• Sponsors (?)

Yes... I recommend MAC GT40P specific shorties, if shorty headers is what your after... If you want LT's, then the MAC Tru-fit longtubes fit real nice... at least in my case... Also, I would look into the Crane 2031, Trickflow Stage 1, or Steeda #19... mainly because our cars are picky when it comes to cams... For the best performance, call Buddy Rawls or Ed, and have him grind you a custom cam... Also, upgrade the valve springs before you install a cam, because the stock explorer springs won't cut the mustard...

The stock HO cam can be a very good match to the P heads. When you look at what the P heads flow, they flow about 4cfm more at .500" than they do at .400", so the .444" lift of the stock cam is a great match. The stock cams vary quit a bit in duration (204~212°), so I suggest when you do the heads that you get a degree wheel/magnetic base dial indicator and see exactly what your cam events and duration and lift are. I have the early 87 "high ramp rate" cam in my 2/88 built car and my cam came out to be 219°I, 212.5°E duration @ .050" lift and the lifts were .448"I, .436"E. Turns out the duration and valve events are VERY close to the Crower 15510 cam and when I asked a well known custom cam supplier how to install it, he recommended a 109° ICL.