GT40P vs ported e7s?

Fett

Nov 2, 2004
I searched both on here and on the net...and while I found a TON of info on the GT40P heads, every comparison was vs untouched e7s.

My stock e7 heads were "ported". I basically gasket matched the both the intake and exhaust ports, removed the thermactor "bumps" and cleaned them up as best I could. Obviously not a professional port job....but I did open them up nicely.

I need to change my lifters, and want to change my rockers and cam, and I figure better springs on the stock valves would help me get a little more RPM....especially with a better cam. I figured I could just resurface my heads and put them back on...I don't have the money right now to throw into a set of heads. But I can get a set of GT40P heads at the local yard for cheap...so I figured I might as well go ahead and use them.

I guess the bottom line is, would there really be any real advantage for going with gt40ps over my ported e7s? I don't want to waste my time at the yard if it wouldn't really be worth it. I get pretty decent power out of my current heads, but if I can get a noticable difference out of a set of gt40s over my current heads, I will go ahead and spend a day at the yard digging them out.

• Sponsors (?)

personally, while it's all apart, I'd go for it. since it's a home porting job, I think you'll see a big game. the p's will also give you a big advantage, down the line when you want more power, you can port them, which will take you beyond what an e7 will ever do.

personally, while it's all apart, I'd go for it. since it's a home porting job, I think you'll see a big game. the p's will also give you a big advantage, down the line when you want more power, you can port them, which will take you beyond what an e7 will ever do.

That is what I was thinking of doing...getting the heads tomorrow and doing the same basic thing to them that I did with the e7s. Gasket match them and just clean them up a little. I already have Ford Racing headers, so I won't have any fitment issues.

if you decide to keep the e7's or port some gt 40's...while there out do as i did in the pictures below you will get a little more power...i would like a set of gt 40's but approx. $350 for the heads and $120 for refreshing heads at a machine shop is a little pricy at this point

portede7heads005.jpg

portinge7heads002.jpg