Engine Gt40x Heads- Cobra Intake Or Trickflow Intake?

• Sponsors (?)

Im not all that worried about the price but i was thinking the Trickflow street burner intake. I wouldnt be opposed to a Track heat intake either if the gains are worth it. Ive heard great things about the trickflow intakes but i have concerns that the Cobra intake would be a better match since the heads are gt40 based. I could be completely wrong but thats why im asking haha :p Thanks

I went from an explorer intake to a Trickflow Street Burner and didn't notice a difference, with track times to prove it. If you are worried about price I wou ld go with an explorer or go with the Cobra intake used for the looks. If you don't mind price Track Heat all the way. BTW I paid like 270 for my Street Burner used off Corral.

I like the real gt40 tubular intake with gt40x heads.
I've seen very good things from that combo, although the heads and intake were port matched to each other, not to be confused with gasket matching.

No intake looks better either.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd just like to point out that "GT40" is just a designation that Ford's project team assigned those parts, and aside from the fact that they're named similarly, there is no magic in running GT40 parts together that you couldn't achieve with any other combination of aftermarket parts.

If you want a good looking intake and want to spend a stupid amount of money, buy a tubular GT40. If you want an intake that will support a lot more performance potential and are less concerned about looks, get something like an Eddie RPM II, a Holley SysteMax II, or one of the Trickflow Intakes you listed.

I'd just like to point out that "GT40" is just a designation that Ford's project team assigned those parts, and aside from the fact that they're named similarly, there is no magic in running GT40 parts together that you couldn't achieve with any other combination of aftermarket parts.

If you want a good looking intake and want to spend a stupid amount of money, buy a tubular GT40. If you want an intake that will support a lot more performance potential and are less concerned about looks, get something like an Eddie RPM II, a Holley SysteMax II, or one of the Trickflow Intakes you listed.

I'm well aware that just because the name is the same doesn't mean it's magical.
But it's a pretty good all around intake, especially for a set of x heads.
As for potential, someone currently getting an intake for an x headed engine, probably isn't going to have another set of heads any time soon, so you can leave the future be, especially since it can be sold for the same price you buy it. Not to mention the larger intakes will hurt low end.

When it comes to price, they don't always cost that much if you buy one locally, and even on ebay i've watched them go off for under $400.
Asking prices are crazy high, that's why the same ones are on ebay week after week, but they just don't sell.

While i love the rpmII for higher end setups, that is an extremely expensive intake and much harder to find used.

I'm well aware that just because the name is the same doesn't mean it's magical.
But it's a pretty good all around intake, especially for a set of x heads.
As for potential, someone currently getting an intake for an x headed engine, probably isn't going to have another set of heads any time soon, so you can leave the future be, especially since it can be sold for the same price you buy it. Not to mention the larger intakes will hurt low end.

When it comes to price, they don't always cost that much if you buy one locally, and even on ebay i've watched them go off for under $400.
Asking prices are crazy high, that's why the same ones are on ebay week after week, but they just don't sell.

While i love the rpmII for higher end setups, that is an extremely expensive intake and much harder to find used.

I think what he was implying is that the gt40 intake wasn't designed to specifically be ran with the gt40 heads, for example, they wouldn't match together better than a trickflow intake/gt40x heads or gt40 intake/ trickflow heads.

I agree the gt40/cobra/explorer intake is a great intake, ESPECIALLY for the price, but holley, eddy, and trickflow are on that next level.

I think what he was implying is that the gt40 intake wasn't designed to specifically be ran with the gt40 heads, for example, they wouldn't match together better than a trickflow intake/gt40x heads or gt40 intake/ trickflow heads.

I agree the gt40/cobra/explorer intake is a great intake, ESPECIALLY for the price, but holley, eddy, and trickflow are on that next level.

^This.^

I have a set of gt40x heads and i want to pickup an intake to go with it. I was wondering what would be the best performance choice for these heads. Thanks!
For a good gain on that combination I would suggest the Track Heat intake. It is in fact 10hp better on the top end than the Street intake. With a good gear in the back you will not notice the slight torque difference between the Street and the Track Heat neither.