GT500 replica rear spoiler install...56K WARNING!

• Sponsors (?)

I took off my spoiler last night. Man, that's a job and a half. When I removed the bolts, 3 just came out of the spoiler. The fourth nut came off properly. The Torx-headed post was removed easily with a 4mm socket.

To sever the connection twixt spolier and lid, I used a combination of a credit card, a child's 6" ruler which had a paper cutter on one edge, a piece of cotton and even a Stanley blade although I wouldn't recommend this as you're too wont to damage something. The ruler was essential as the spoiler is too low to get your hands under so it was useful to reach under and sever the foam.

To counter the sticky, I used a touch of silicon lube on the ruler which reduces the cutting friction but stopped it jamming.

I then used my thumbnails to remove the top layer of foam. Once you're down to the hard residue, isopropanol alcohol can be used to just remove it. keep swirling it and it will dissolve slowly and come off without damaging the paint. I then cleaned it up with some Zaino.

I'm awaiting delivery of the new spoiler today but the flat trunk looks so much better than that pedestal spoiler. If it weren't for the holes, I'd be tempted to leave it. Great advert for the spoiler delete option.

I liked the spoilerless look as well, but would have to worry about getting the holes filled and painted. Maybe even had to have had the tail panel removed for repainting. Then I saw/heard about this spoiler prepainted for less than $230 to my door. I can't wait to see your finished look LV51FER:nice:

Well I got my spoiler and fitted it last night. According to the box, this spoiler is made in Malaysia. I think the only disappointment is that the front of the spoiler can't be bolted down and the end pieces of tape wouldn't stick down to the trunk lid at the forward 50% of it's length although the tape running across the car sticks just fine.

The tape can be pressed down but it takes quite a lot of pressure and I'm confident the tape simply couldn't hold the spoiler down flush and can't stick a heavy enough weight on the spoiler to attempt to get it to stick.

Obviously this means that water can get under the spoiler at the ends and I considered removing it and using fresh tape to try and get it to lie flat but after looking at the spoiler for a while, I couldn't see any way of altering it's position enough to change the way that edge is always going to lift and I don't think they make tape strong enough to force the moulding to lie as flat as I would like. I don't really want to use silicon to seal the ends so may have to take it offf again (if that's possible...) and retape and possibly put a thicker piece on that forward edge.

The spoiler was simple to fit using two of the original bolts though and the color match is good. Will put up pics when I'm happy that I can't do better. LOL.

My tape doesn't touch on the ends, either, and I was a little scared at first. But more than a month later, it hasn't come unstuck where it does touch, and noone has noticed. I forgot all about it until you said something.

My tape doesn't touch on the ends, either, and I was a little scared at first. But more than a month later, it hasn't come unstuck where it does touch, and noone has noticed. I forgot all about it until you said something.

Yep, these things seem so major at the time you do the fitting. Annoyingly, I had another look tonight and removed the spolier posts forgetting I'd reused the white plastic discs the post screws into. Obviously, as soon as I removed one of the posts that disc went for a swim in the void between the spolier and bootlid. I considered removing the spoiler to do it again but had to face the fact that once these things are stuck on, they're not coming off. If it was that hard to get off the two patches under the pedestal, removing this doesn't even bear thinking about.

So now I'm going to forget the bit no-one can see and enjoy the result!

After nearly a week the ends of mine are still "stuck".

DSC03859.jpg

Attachments

• DSC03859.jpg
    DSC03859.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 92
Anyone install one of these that didn't have a spoiler to begin with, i.e. factory delete? I've been thinking about this spoiler but realize I would need to center it and obviously drill new holes into the trunk lid.

An easier way to get the spoiler off is to go to wal-mart and buy some fishing line with the highest poundage you can find. I used 50lb on mine. Took a long piece of it and tied it to a screw driver on both ends (Put the string underneath the spoiler first!). then just pulled it through the adhesive. I used a bug/tar remover to loosen up the adhesive when I was trying to break it loose. I then used some goo-b-gone stuff to get the adhesive off of my trunk. I don't know if that works better or worse than alcohol though.

Love the look man!

Edit: using the fishing line and pulling through technique it only took me 15-20 minutes total to get the spoiler off :)

No, you're not. I know others that do. I don't like it. It looks like any other spoiler on any other dar. It has no style to it. Just doesn't seem to fit the Mustang styling.

No, you're not. I know others that do. I don't like it. It looks like any other spoiler on any other car. It has no style to it. Just doesn't seem to fit the Mustang styling.

There was nothing wrong with this spoiler on the previous('01-'04) Stang, but I agree it detracts from the retro styling of the S197. Now for a standard production factory wing, the new V6 spoiler looks better than the GT:shrug:

There was nothing wrong with this spoiler on the previous('01-'04) Stang, but I agree it detracts from the retro styling of the S197. Now for a standard production factory wing, the new V6 spoiler looks better than the GT:shrug:

agreed x 3 (though the '99-'04's looked best wingless or with the Cobra spoiler... funny how the same holds true for the S197)

An easier way to get the spoiler off is to go to wal-mart and buy some fishing line with the highest poundage you can find. I used 50lb on mine. Took a long piece of it and tied it to a screw driver on both ends (Put the string underneath the spoiler first!). then just pulled it through the adhesive. I used a bug/tar remover to loosen up the adhesive when I was trying to break it loose. I then used some goo-b-gone stuff to get the adhesive off of my trunk. I don't know if that works better or worse than alcohol though.

Love the look man!

Edit: using the fishing line and pulling through technique it only took me 15-20 minutes total to get the spoiler off :)

Agreed - goo gone or goof off cut the 3m adhesivew quite easily if you use it correctly. Once the spolier is off, liberally apply the goof off on the entire area of adhesive and let it soak a little, apply a little heat with a heat gun to assure softness and then soak a microfiber towel with more goof off, rub with medium pressure and the adhesive will ball off. No reason to get blisters or over work here, let the products do all the work.

Pics of old spoiler, no spoiler and GT500 spoiler plus some late night pics of the Foryar lower grille insert:
IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0706.jpg
    IMG_0706.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0753.jpg